Lifer!!!...

  • Guy J. Wapple
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2005
      Fellow Birders,

      Last night (Wednesday), I picked up a "lifer" under most unusual
      circumstances. I was out for a drive around 1930 hrs., when just
      north of the CPR tracks on Idylwyld Drive I wheeled into the Holiday
      Day Inn Express. Suddenly there she was in all her glory! A new
      species--- Mary Ann Dudragne!!!

      Actually, we had corresponded over cyberspace the past few days and
      arranged to possibly meet the next time she was up in Saskatoon.

      When she phoned, I had just nicely rolled out of bed after the train-
      all-night-to-Wainwright-jump-in-a-taxi-and-come-right-home voyage.
      Mary Ann, Sandra and myself got aquainted, drank a couple of pots of
      tea and had a nice visit. Folks, she really is as nice as she
      sounds in this forum!

      Contrary to the date above, today really is Thursday. What a
      fabulous prairie spring day! This morning Sandra wasn't working
      either, so after coffee and cereal we went out into the yard to try
      and catch up on a few chores. We cut down the rest of the dead
      perennials in the back, took the Christmas lights off the front two
      Cedars, and generally cleaned the joint up a bit. Not much for
      birds, but did see a couple of things.

      As we were working diligently away, a familiar screaming sound
      rained down from above, interspersed with lots rich, musical
      gurgling. A male Merlin was being chased by two male Purple Martins-
      --the latter my first for the year. Also had a few Robins, House
      Sparrows and House Finches keeping an eye on us as well.

      After lunch we did a few errands and drove out to the north end of
      S'toon for one of our semi-regular visits to Costco. Needless to
      say, it was costly! On the way home as we crossed the Circle Drive
      bridge, another new bird for the year flew southbound right over us,
      an Osprey.

      If I have time, I'll dash off a few lines on the last couple of rail
      escapades.

      Cheers,

      Guy Wapple,
      S'toon