Cinnamon Teal

  • valndoyle
    Message 1 of 9 , May 5, 2005
      I couldn't believe my eyes. The Cinnamon Teal is on the 'lifer' list
      for us and this afternoon I walked down to the dugout with the pooch
      and there was a very rusty-coloured duck swimming with a pair of
      Blue-winged Teals. I went back to get the Sibley's and binoculars.
      Sure enough, a Cinnamon Teal. It's about a half a city block walk to
      the dugout. I then went back for the digital and a bottle of water,
      then back for a lawn chair and finally decided one more trip to carry
      down the scope, stand and cell phone. Now everything is down there but
      the kitchen sink. I've been watching them swim around for almost two
      hours......it's great. They cover every end of the dugout. A Brewer's
      Blackbird had a splash bath right beside it in the reeds.

      lol Pete, I forgot to copy the posting also! Besides that, they are
      working on the power transformer in Weyburn and three times I've lost
      postings to the power going out....humbug!

      Val - McTaggart
    • daynewilki9
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 29 9:46 PM
        I went out today and spotted a pair of Cinnamon Teal near Val Marie. Also, the Loggerhead Shrikes are back in the area, and Burrowing Owls seem to now be paired up (2 pair today).

        Dayne W
      • Lorna
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 5, 2012
          There is a pair of Cinnamon Teals east of Shaunavon on "little 6" just about 1k west of the road to Scotsguard
        • kathy_hedegard
          Message 4 of 9 , May 9, 2014
            Hi Birders:

            I went to check on the wetlands from Lampman west to the area we've been calling the Midale-Macoun Marsh.

            Points of interest:

            -  The Great Blue Heron Colony at Roy's Lake, Lampman is again occupied, with at least 7 herons nesting.  There could be more; it is a little difficult to see some of the nests through the trees.  As yet no Double-crested Cormorants are on nests, but there are plenty in the area.

            -  American Avocets are paired up at most sloughs

            -  I found several flocks of dowitchers and Hudonsian Godwits, often together.  I think the dowitchers are Long-billed, from the sounds a few flocks were making.

            -  Upland Sandpipers have arrived

            -  Several pairs or small groups of Wilson's Phalaropes are in the Macoun marsh area.

            -  There are increasing numbers of Pied-billed Grebes, but only 1 Red-necked Grebe, which I finally found at Gooseberry Lake, north of Stoughton.  I didn't see any Western Grebes.

            -  I found 3 Black-bellied Plovers in a wet area between Fillmore and Creelman, only starting to show some breeding plumage.

            The best birds of the day, though, were the pair of Cinnamon Teal at the Midale-Macoun March.

            I also had a moose stand in the road in front of me for awhile.  Later in the day, many miles away, I watched and waited while an American Bittern decided the gravel road was not an ideal place for it to be.

            Kathy H in Estevan and area

          • Alaina Armbruster
            Message 5 of 9 , May 9, 2014

              Oh thats great news!! I will have to head out there again to hopefully see the nesting grounds!!
              if you happen to see the cinnamon teal again, could you let me know? im off saturday afternoon and if they are still around i would love to go check em out!!

              Alaina in Manor

              To: Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com