Black-crowned Night Heron

  • plantman108
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 9, 2005
      Last evening as Bob L. and I were checking out the marsh, I panned
      over to Goose Island and saw the Heron sitting very high in a tree.
      With the amount of geese on the island they were probably very
      territorial, which resulted in the heron being so high up. We both had
      a great look before it flew off north-east. We also saw an American
      Wigeon. I'm off to see what is around tonight. STEVEN
    • Steven Weir
      Message 2 of 5 , May 6, 2009
        This morning on my way in to work I spotted 6 and possibly a 7th Black-crowned Night Herons roosting on the east side of Goose Island in Wascana Park,Regina.

        Tues. morning there were 3 in the same area.

        Steven Weir
        Regina,Sk
      • Clayton
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2012
          In the last number of days we have been observing and trying to get a good photo of these birds on RR 381 west of Warman Road here north of Saskatoon. There are at least three (saw them all at once) two are inhabiting the area around two large sloughs on either side of the road. They seem to enjoy "fishing" in the water running over the road.

          There are a number (maybe 8) American Avocets who like to get their exercise running down the road in front of the car in the evening.
          In the yard we have had the return of:
          Brown Thrasher
          Baltimore Oriole
          American Goldfinch
          Eastern Kingbird
          Phoebe
          Hummingbird
          House Wrens
          Tree swallows in a number of nest boxes about the yard.
          Have also seen Yellow Headed Blackbirds in the yard lately.

          There are a number of other small birds which I have not identified as yet.

          Clayton
        • Ryan Bradshaw
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 25, 2014
            I was surprised and excited to see a Black-crowned Night Heron at Saskatoon's Peter Zakreski Park this afternoon. I knew they were around this area, but I had never actually seen one in Saskatoon. It was a male with very long white plumes. I watched him for about 15 minutes. Beautiful!

            Ryan in Saskatoon
          • William Davenport
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 26, 2014
              Our daughter, Sandra, and I walked the park this morning; we did not see the Heron but did have several Spotted Sandpipers, Common Tern, Four Common Mergansers, Canada Geese, Gadwalls, and Swainson's Hawk.
              Then drove to the university grounds and, with binoculars, identified yesterday's geese as  a pair of Snow Geese.
              Bill
              Saskatoon