Black-crowned Night Heron
- Last evening as Bob L. and I were checking out the marsh, I panned
over to Goose Island and saw the Heron sitting very high in a tree.
With the amount of geese on the island they were probably very
territorial, which resulted in the heron being so high up. We both had
a great look before it flew off north-east. We also saw an American
Wigeon. I'm off to see what is around tonight. STEVEN
- This morning on my way in to work I spotted 6 and possibly a 7th Black-crowned Night Herons roosting on the east side of Goose Island in Wascana Park,Regina.
Tues. morning there were 3 in the same area.
- In the last number of days we have been observing and trying to get a good photo of these birds on RR 381 west of Warman Road here north of Saskatoon. There are at least three (saw them all at once) two are inhabiting the area around two large sloughs on either side of the road. They seem to enjoy "fishing" in the water running over the road.
There are a number (maybe 8) American Avocets who like to get their exercise running down the road in front of the car in the evening.
In the yard we have had the return of:
Tree swallows in a number of nest boxes about the yard.
Have also seen Yellow Headed Blackbirds in the yard lately.
There are a number of other small birds which I have not identified as yet.
- I was surprised and excited to see a Black-crowned Night Heron at Saskatoon's Peter Zakreski Park this afternoon. I knew they were around this area, but I had never actually seen one in Saskatoon. It was a male with very long white plumes. I watched him for about 15 minutes. Beautiful!
Ryan in Saskatoon
- Our daughter, Sandra, and I walked the park this morning; we did not see the Heron but did have several Spotted Sandpipers, Common Tern, Four Common Mergansers, Canada Geese, Gadwalls, and Swainson's Hawk.Then drove to the university grounds and, with binoculars, identified yesterday's geese as a pair of Snow Geese.BillSaskatoon----- Original Message -----Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2014 6:52 PMSubject: [Saskbirds] Black-crowned Night HeronI was surprised and excited to see a Black-crowned Night Heron at Saskatoon's Peter Zakreski Park this afternoon. I knew they were around this area, but I had never actually seen one in Saskatoon. It was a male with very long white plumes. I watched him for about 15 minutes. Beautiful!
Ryan in Saskatoon