Swift Current - I LOVE SPRING!

  • M A
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3, 2005
      With the arrival of the 2 Dark-eyed Juncos and American Robins in our
      yard this morning, the day just got better! Even the female
      Red-breasted Nuthatch made an appearance... haven't seen her (or the
      Mr.) since the beginning of January. The House Finches were singing,
      the Robins were singing, whinneying and fighting, and the House Sparrows
      were chattering!! Spring was in the air all day (and the temperatures
      were pretty nice, too, hitting a high of just under 17ºC today!) It
      felt, smelled, and sounded like Spring!

      This morning I went out to the Southside (Riverside) Park for awhile,
      and this afternoon, I was joined by Ryan... together, we went out to the
      Filtration Plant Reservoir, Riverside Park, and Burnett's Pond. Didn't
      do too bad in tallying up some Year Birds for our lists. Nothing that
      hasn't been seen yet in Saskatchewan, but they increased our
      year-to-date lists by several!!!

      Riverside Park:
      <><>5 Canada Geese ( 2 pairs plus 1) -- lots of scuffles with the single
      Goose (8 Canada Geese there this afternoon... all pairs - no single!)
      <>2 Mallards (1 m/f pair) (3 m/f pairs there this afternoon)
      <>2 Common Goldeneyes (1 m/f pair)
      Ring-billed Gulls
      75 Bohemian Waxwings (only 30 - 40 there this afternoon)
      At least 5 American Robins (males)
      2 Downy Woodpeckers
      4 White-breasted Nuthatches (and quite possibly 5) -- this wasn't quite
      a lifer for me but it was the first time I ever seen one, much less so
      many up close and personal (within 5 or 6 feet of me!) (only 3 seen
      this afternoon)
      2 Red-breasted Nuthatches (and we heard another one -- all this
      afternoon... I didn't see any this morning. Great chance for comparison
      between the two Nuthatch species!!!)
      6 American Crows (none this morning... all this afternoon)
      1 Muskrat eating some plant material on a piece of ice along the edge of
      the water until the Geese got too close and too mean (there was one
      there this afternoon, too... in the same area. Probably the same one!)
      1 Mink (none this morning... just this afternoon)

      This afternoon, we also heard a Ring-necked Pheasant, a Downy
      Woodpecker, & House Finches singing.

      Along the road leading to the Reservoir:
      21 Canada Geese
      6 Mallards,
      2 Common Goldeneyes (1 m/f pair)
      1 beautiful Ring-necked Pheasant (male)
      1 American Robin.

      At the Filtration Plant Reservoir, we saw:
      7 Canada Geese
      2 unidentified ducks flying
      5 Black-billed Magpies
      2 Muskrats

      We also heard another Ring-necked Pheasant.

      Around 4:00, we decided it was maybe time to start heading back home...
      with one more stop - at the Wildlife Federation's pond - aka Burnett's
      Pond!!! That was a good decision! There we saw:
      4 Canada Geese
      29 Mallards (males & females)
      16 Common Goldeneyes (males & females)
      2 Lesser Scaups
      2 Ring-necked Ducks
      4 Ring-billed Gulls
      10 California Gulls
      20 unidentified Gulls (flying too high to i.d.)
      1 American Coot
      2 American Crows
      1 Western Meadowlark (and heard more.)

      In a marshy area just west of the Pond, we saw another Mallard pair, as
      well as 2 Killdeer!!!

      While out and about, we also saw several Milbert's Tortoiseshell
      Butterflies today.

      I forgot to mention, in yesterday's Sask Landing sightings, that we saw
      several Milbert's Tortoiseshells as well as a few Mourning Cloak
      Butterflies. There were also a few unidentified little moths and lots
      of flies.

      We ended the day in our yard and immediate neighbourhood with at least 4
      American Robins (males) fighting, at least 400 Bohemian Waxwings landing
      the neigbhours' trees across the street, along with the 2 Dark-Eyed
      Juncos & 1 American Tree Sparrow, plus the House Finches & House Sparrows.

      What a wonderful day!!!

      Happy birding....

      - Mary Ann, Larry, & Ryan, Swift Current
      http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net

    • Jared Clarke
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2005
        Hello again!
        With the huge flood of new birds seen in the province just recently I thought I would post an updated list. Some great birds have been seen. Spring is definately here, and yes Greg, I love it too!!
        We have another 19 species to add to our fast growing list. This takes our total to 110. New to our list Red Crossbills, Green-winged Teal, Greater White-fronted Goose, Swainson's Hawk, Northern Shoveller, Killdeer, Greater Sage-Grouse, Canvasback, Wood Duck, Gadwall, Turkey Vulture, Sandhill Cranes, Hooded Merganser, Song Sparrow, Bufflehead, American Coot, Brewer's Blackbird, Glaucous Gull, and Double-crested Cormorant.

        Keep up the great sightings everyone! Here is the list;

        Saskatchewan 2005 Year List

        1. Greater White-fronted Goose
        2. Snow Goose
        3. Cackling Goose
        4. Canada Goose
        5. Tundra Swan
        6. Wood Duck
        7. Gadwall
        8. American Wigeon
        9. Mallard
        10. Northern Shoveller
        11. Northern Pintail
        12. Green-winged Teal
        13. Canvasback
        14. Redhead
        15. Ring-necked Duck
        16. Lesser Scaup
        17. Bufflehead
        18. Common Goldeneye
        19. Hooded Merganser
        20. Common Merganser
        21. Gray Partridge
        22. Ring-necked Pheasant
        23. Greater Sage-Grouse
        24. Sharp-tailed Grouse
        25. Double-crested Cormorant
        26. Turkey Vulture
        27. Bald Eagle
        28. Northern Harrier
        29. Sharp-shinned Hawk
        30. Northern Goshawk
        31. Swainson�s Hawk
        32. Red-tailed Hawk
        33. Ferruginous Hawk
        34. Rough-legged Hawk
        35. Golden Eagle
        36. Merlin
        37. Gyrfalcon
        38. Peregrine Falcon
        39. Prairie Falcon
        40. American Coot
        41. Sandhill Crane
        42. Killdeer
        43. Franklin�s Gull
        44. Ring-billed Gull
        45. California Gull
        46. Herring Gull
        47. Glaucous Gull
        48. Rock Pigeon
        49. Eurasian Collared-Dove
        50. Mourning Dove
        51. Eastern Screech-Owl
        52. Great Horned Owl
        53. Snowy Owl
        54. Northern Hawk Owl
        55. Barred Owl
        56. Great Gray Owl
        57. Long-eared Owl
        58. Short-eared Owl
        59. Boreal Owl
        60. Northern Saw-whet Owl
        61. Downy Woodpecker
        62. Hairy Woodpecker
        63. American Three-toed Woodpecker
        64. Black-backed Woodpecker
        65. Northern Flicker
        66. Pileated Woodpecker
        67. Northern Shrike
        68. Gray Jay
        69. Blue Jay
        70. Black-billed Magpie
        71. American Crow
        72. Common Raven
        73. Horned Lark
        74. Black-capped Chickadee
        75. Boreal Chickadee
        76. Red-breasted Nuthatch
        77. White-breasted Nuthatch
        78. Brown Creeper
        79. American Dipper
        80. Golden-crowned Kinglet
        81. Mountain Bluebird
        82. Townsend�s Solitaire
        83. American Robin
        84. Varied Thrush
        85. Bohemian Waxwing
        86. Cedar Waxwing
        87. American Tree Sparrow
        88. Song Sparrow
        89. White-throated Sparrow
        90. Harris�s Sparrow
        91. White-crowned Sparrow
        92. Dark-eyed Junco
        93. McCown�s Longspur
        94. Lapland Longspur
        95. Snow Bunting
        96. Red-winged Blackbird
        97. Western Meadowlark
        98. Brewer�s Blackbird
        99. Common Grackle
        100. Gray-crowned Rosy-Finch
        101. Pine Grosbeak
        102. House Finch
        103. Red Crosbill
        104. White-winged Crossbill
        105. Common Redpoll
        106. Hoary Redpoll
        107. Pine Siskin
        108. American Goldfinch
        109. Evening Grosbeak
        110. House Sparrow

      • Mary Ann
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 8, 2005
          Great list, Jared! Thanks you!! One more addition... Ryan saw 3 or
          4 Lesser Yellowlegs out at Burnett's Pond on Wednesday evening
          (April 6).

          Keep up the great work... and the very best of luck in your exams
          (coming up very soon?)

          - Mary Ann, Larry, and Ryan, Swift Current
          http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net

          --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Jared Clarke <clarkejared16@y...>

        • Kathy Hedegard
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 8, 2005
            Hi Jared, it's so great to have a list of bird sightings. I'm rather bad
            at keeping track of things, so it's awfully nice when someone else
            enjoys compiling things. Don't forget about the American Kestrel,
            though. (or it really is on the list and I just can't read very well yet
            this morning!).

            Kathy in Estevan