Bald Eagles

  • valndoyle
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 1, 2005
      Bob Cameron phoned this afternoon (Thursday) and he reported a Bald
      Eagle 5 km. northeast of McTaggart. He also called Ross Douglas who
      said he saw four Bald Eagles in the same location on Wednesday.

      Val from McTaggart
    • Bailey and Bjorklund
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 1, 2005
        We have seven observations of BAEA in the previous two days. We did not say
        seven birds because we did not properly note the time of the original
        observation or plumage of a bird we saw while we were going south, and what
        difference we noted in another eagle on the return trip a mile away from the
        first one. Yes, we were thinking that Guy would not accept the second one.

        SNOW are probably gathering around Nickle Lake overnight in their usual
        thousands right now and then heading out to fields during the day.

        They say that it is going to be 17 Celsius today at Weyburn. Hard to
        believe because there were two sundogs by the Sun this morning - the usual
        concave outlines, and a mirror image (convex) west of the Sun.

        Martin

      • valndoyle
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 1, 2005
          The Bald Eagles are still on the road a mile east of us. Doyle and I
          saw three plus a Northern Harrier. Two eagles were flying practically
          the whole time with flocks of Canada Geese flying over as well. One
          posed nicely in a tree nearby so we could watch it. On driving into
          the yard, there was the Rough-legged Hawk. He also flies right over
          top for some good views. I wonder if it's eyeing our feeder birds or
          the Rock Pigeons. I saw a little mouse running towards our house
          foundation this morning. Hope it doesn't find its way into our old
          place. We saw a Common Goldeneye at the bridge by the Weyburn golf
          course. It was striking in amongst the Canada Geese.

          Val
        • plantman108
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 27, 2005
            Greetings,

            This morning at Buffalo Pound, actually by the Nichol Flats Marsh
            area, were 3 Bald Eagles. One adult and two immature. As I watched,
            the adult circled the marsh followed by one of the immatures but
            they actually went two different directions. The adult eventually
            perched on a tree to the southeast. I lost sight of the second and
            the third just stayed on the original tree where I first saw all
            three.

            On the way out to the 'Pound' I spotted a Great-horned Owl just
            after the Kalium/Belle Plaine overpass. It was still there on the
            way home with a second one a mile east.This is the 6th GHOW that I
            have seen in the last two weeks. I feel I might be getting stalked!

            Back at the reservoir( hwy#301) were two different Northern
            Harriers. In the lake things were pretty much the same as Bob L.
            mentioned yesterday. Large groups of Hooded Mergansers, Common
            Goldeneye,Scaup and Ruddy Duck. The marsh still had approx. 100
            Tundra Swans.

            Steven Weir
            Regina,Sk
          • Val
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 5, 2006
              Today Doyle and I took a drive to the south side of Nickle Lake. We
              didn't see one bird until we drove the trail to the spillway. On the
              ice of the lake were (I believe) two immature Bald Eagles, one being
              in the centre of the lake, the other by the shore. They stuck out like
              sore thumbs. Tonight our daughter tells us she and her boyfriend saw a
              young bird in distress on the ground at a drive-through. She of course
              jumps out of the car to 'save it' and they ended up coming out to the
              farm to get a spare bird cage. We weren't home. The bird isn't able to
              fly but is now with them in Weyburn happy with water, food and even a
              home-made nest. She wasn't sure what it was until it gave a
              sound.....oh no, another cowbird!! Is this our fate, to raise
              cowbirds?? Ours gave us so much fun and laughter for 3 1/2 years and
              my heart broke when he died. We'll assess this one to see if it needs
              to be kept or can be released some day.

              Val
            • Bailey and Bjorklund
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 6, 2006
                > Today Doyle and I took a drive to the south side of Nickle Lake. We
                > didn't see one bird until we drove the trail to the spillway. On the
                > ice of the lake were (I believe) two immature Bald Eagles, one being
                > in the centre of the lake, the other by the shore.

                Last Sunday we saw an immature and a mature Bald Eagle on the far shore.
                (Different birds.) Note that when flying, Bald Eagle heads stick out from
                the body as far as does the tails. Golden Eagle heads appear smaller than
                the tail ends.

                Harder to figure out from a distance is that feathering on the Golden Eagle
                goes right down to the toes, whereas with the Bald the leg is not completely
                covered down to the toes.

                Martin

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 6, 2006
                  All
                  One field mark that I often use as reference is the often obvious ' blondish hackles' which hatch year, immature and adult Golden Eagles feature in combination with as mentioned their proportionately smaller heads and bills. Also note the white areas at the base of the primaries and tail in the immature are usually well defined and limited to specific areas with the exception of the tail. These contrast well with the "darker" areas of the bird which remain consistently a chocolate brown in color. Note in particular the typical tail pattern of immature and adult birds.

                  The Bald Eagle features many variable plumages during its four/five years of development towards adulthood. These feature a combination of "patchy' less solid "lighter areas" on the body and underwings plus some "lighter brown" areas on major portions of the plumage such as the mantle. It is only during the last stages of aging prior to the onset of full adult plumage that the typical white tail and head develop. The whiter tail and head tend to develop in tandem.

                  In the main, Bald Eagles outnumber Golden Eagles at most locations and can perhaps be seen more near water/ice. Golden Eagles tends perhaps to hunt live prey more although both are scavengers as well.

                  I have seen Golden Eagles hunt Sharp-tailed Grouse in pairs in a Community Pasture near Tyvan.

                  The overall shape in flight and proportion as mentioned by Martin is very useful. And again as Martin mentioned seeing the feathered tarsi if possible eliminates all except Rough-legged Hawks.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 6, 2006
                    Thanks Martin and Bob and all. I take photos of everything we're not
                    sure of and these aren't feathered down to the bottom of the leg
                    plus other hints lean towards Bald Eagles. No mistaking the one we
                    saw on Saturday at Carlyle. It flew alongside the car, quite low,
                    and had a beautiful white head. We also saw several Common Ravens.

                    Val and Doyle

                    --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Bailey and Bjorklund <cmbb@...>
                    wrote:

                    > > Today Doyle and I took a drive to the south side of Nickle Lake.
                    We
                    > > didn't see one bird until we drove the trail to the spillway. On
                    the
                    > > ice of the lake were (I believe) two immature Bald Eagles, one
                    being
                    > > in the centre of the lake, the other by the shore.
                    >
                    > Last Sunday we saw an immature and a mature Bald Eagle on the far
                    shore.
                    > (Different birds.) Note that when flying, Bald Eagle heads stick
                    out from
                    > the body as far as does the tails. Golden Eagle heads appear
                    smaller than
                    > the tail ends.
                    >
                    > Harder to figure out from a distance is that feathering on the
                    Golden Eagle
                    > goes right down to the toes, whereas with the Bald the leg is not
                    completely
                    > covered down to the toes.
                    >
                    > Martin
                    >

                    > --
                    11/4/06

                  • ldemarch
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 16 7:13 PM
                      Hi Everyone

                      I just spent a few enjoyable days in Saskatchewan. I wondered if Bald
                      Eagles are getting more common in the south in summer. We had an
                      adult in the Qu'Appelle valley just W. of Tantalon (SW of Esterhazy)
                      on Aug. 9 and another adult at Beaver Creek, S. of Saskatoon on the 14th.

                      Cheers,

                      Larry

                      Larry de March
                      Winnipeg
                    • Kathy Hedegard
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 3, 2009
                        Hello Everyone:

                        Ooooo, Spring Fever time. I drove around my favourite Fisherman's Road-Boundary Reservoir loop this afternoon. I haven't been out that way since maybe the CBC in early January. Too cold, too much snow; too many drifts until now. Anyway..... Good to be back.

                        110 Ring-necked Pheasants
                        47 Sharp-tailed Grouse
                        33 Grey Partridge
                        1 Black-billed Magpie
                        3 Bald Eagles
                        12-15 Horned Larks
                        1 Rough-legged Hawk
                        It's hard to tell how many Canada Geese and Mallards are on Boundary reservoir now. Mid-afternoon, the majority of birds are likely out feeding (where?).

                        21 Mule Deer
                        4 Coyotes
                        2 White-tailed Deer
                        4 Moose - walking across the Woodlawn golf course in front of the Clubhouse

                        When I got home, the sun was shining and the Eurasian Collared-Doves were roosting in elms and ash in my neighbour's yard - I counted 51
                        Plus 2 Common Redpolls and about 50 House Sparrows
                        1 Downy Woodpecker and
                        2 House Finches were around earlier this morning

                        Kathy in Estevan

                      • ValandDoyleT
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 5, 2009
                          North of our place just before dinner there were three Bald Eagles, two adults and a juvenile. They were flying over a field. One eagle had a rabbit in its talons. It landed and so did the other two. When we came back around 4:00 p.m. the three were sitting in trees along the road north east of us. That was a nice treat today.

                          Val and Doyle T - McTaggart
                        • tsb2001@sasktel.net
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 6, 2009
                            Yesterday in the evening, I saw a juvenile plumaged Bald Eagle at Wascana Marsh. It flew over low near sunset spooking some Canada and Cackling Geese plus dabblers which are now gathered in the hundreds at the Marsh.

                            The Marsh is apparently being drained for the construction of some pilings for a walk from the Science Center to the Waterfowl Display Ponds. The Muskrats apparently were not consulted as they were standing in the basin no doubt attempting to make sense of their drastically altered world.

                            Good birding
                            Bob L
                            Regina.

                            North of our place just before dinner there were three Bald Eagles, two adults and a juvenile. They were flying over a field. One eagle had a rabbit in its talons. It landed and so did the other two. When we came back around 4:00 p.m. the three were sitting in trees along the road north east of us. That was a nice treat today.

                            Val and Doyle T - McTaggart

                          • Mike B
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 21, 2010
                              13:00-17:00 Winds from the South East produced 8 BAEA"s this afternoon at Petrofka Raptor Station. There were 6 adults and 2 immatures all heading North along the North Sask River Valley. If only time permitted it would be interesting to see how many raptors used the river valley as a corridor to the north.

                              Mike Blom

                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 16, 2012
                                The last 1.5 weeks we've had two bald eagles in our cotton wood trees 1km west of Maple Creek. Today that number grew to four. There are a few gophers peeping out there so imagine food source isn't hard to find. Had fresh deer kill in our pasture too. This morning a magpie shared the same tree branch with an eagle and they were literally within a hand width of each other and calmly looking at each other as if to say "what's next for grits?" The other usuals around...chickadees, nuthatches, house sparrows (I think), etc.
                                As reported last year at this time an Eastern Screech Owl was here for several weeks but no sighting yet.

                                Sent from my iPad