The Southwest Corner

  • Al Hartley
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2005
      I travelled to Govenlock then south to Lodge Creek today. South of
      the hills the Horned Larks were everywhere. No grouse yet on the lek
      north of Govenlock. A short distance south of Govenlock a Snowy Owl.
      In the first trees you pass close to as you drive into the Spangler
      Irrigation Project, a Bald Eagle. On the sagebrush flats along Lodge
      Creek nothing but Horned Larks everywhere. In an abandoned house near
      the irrigation ditch from Altawan Reservoir, I had a close encounter
      with a Raccoon that left both me and the animal with temporarily
      elevated heart rates. Saw another Bald Eagle north of the house, and a
      little later a Northern Shrike, then a lone American Tree Sparrow. On
      the way back mid-afternoon saw a Rough-legged Hawk near the Govenlock
      PFRA Pasture Headquarters. And just south of Senate a Great Horned Owl
      on a nest. And by the way, Horned Larks everywhere.

      Peace,

      Al Hartley
      Maple Creek