Re: [Saskbirds] Eastern Screech Owl at Hodgeville

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2005
      Quick update.

      Apparently Myrna misunderstood my question. She phoned back later confirming this bird was indeed giving the 'bouncing ball' song.

      The paired Regina area birds, from decades ago, located within Sherwood Forest and Cottonwood Creek, were only heard to give the typical "whinny" on just a couple of occasions. The Souris River and Moose Jaw birds are perhaps much more vocal with this variation of the typical call.

      Typical tapes of Eastern Screech Owls usually provide both calls. I'm uncertain about the regional significance, if any, with these variations. My guess is that Eastern and South-eastern birds use this call more.

      I cannot recall any mention of Western Screech Owls incorporating a 'whinny' within their repertoire.

      Good Birding
      Bob