Swainson's Thrush - Saskatoon

  • Mary Ann
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
      This may be of some interest to anyone keeping records in Saskatoon...

      A Saskatoon resident noted this sighting yesterday (Nov 30) in his
      yard:

      "Had a very unusual sighting today ....I always pour warm water in
      the birdbath about lunchtime ( if I'm home) anyway, to my surprise ,
      I was looking out the kitchen window and there , splashing away like
      crazy in the by now, freezing cold water, was a Swainsons Thrush !! I
      thought they would have been long gone by now ? It came out of the
      bath, shook itself off, then jumped right back in again ! Crazy
      little thing :-) Also, it's worth noting , that House Sparrows act
      really strange when anything other than themselves are using the
      birdbaths in my yard..they seem to get very excited and have to fly
      over and have a look at whats going on , and often pester whoever is
      splashing away. The Thrush was having none of it however and scared
      off a couple of would-be attackers :-)

      Also got a glimpse of the little Downy Woodpecker eating the suet
      cake as usual. :-)"

      Happy birding,

      - Mary Ann, Swift Current
      http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net/
    • Frank Roy
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
        Mary Ann:it would ne nice to know the name of the observer of the Swainson's Thrush in Saskatoon. We are going to enter the contest for winter bird species seen between Dec. 1 and Feb. 28. A Swainson's would be quite an addition! Sincerely, Frank Roy.

[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Frank Roy

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2004
            Hi Frank,

            I have e:mailed his address to you directly. I did receive
            permission to share his address by way of e:mail, but did not ask for
            permission to publish it on a public forum.

            He said he did not see the Thrush in his yard today.

            He saw it yesterday (Nov 30)... hopefully it is seen tomorrow so it
            can fly up and be counted for the contest!!!

            Happy birding and may the Thrush be with you,