Pine Warbler

  • Guy J. Wapple
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 6, 2004
      Fellow Birders,

      While not a "late" sighting in traditional Wapple fashion, I'd like to
      report that late yesterday afternoon (Friday, the 5th), my brother
      Robert saw a probable male Pine Warbler in his backyard at 740-4th St.
      East here in Saskatoon. The cross street is Dufferin and his house is
      on the corner on the south side of the street.

      While his only previous sighting of this species in another
      out-of-range bird in Calgary several years ago, he's quite certain of
      the identity. The bird most closely matched the illustration on Pg.
      306 of the National Geographic BIRDS OF NORTH AMERICA 3rd Edition,
      which ironically is in the Yellow-throated Vireo account! It fed
      briefly in his trees and on the ground, before flying over a couple of
      yards. Unfortunately, he was unable to re-locate the bird, and it
      hasn't shown up today either. He'll keep me posted and I'll update
      today if it shows up again. I'm home until late tonight when duty
      calls again.

      Cheers,

      Guy Wapple,
      S'toon
    • dtsawatzky
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 14, 2015

         Hi All

        Bob L and I took a quick drive up to Saskatoon today so I could attempt to see the Pine Warble. Luck was with us and we watched the bird coming to the feeder at the Bowerman House from 9:30 to 10:40 am. It was very active. Thanks to the S'toon birders for reporting this great bird.

        We then were lucky enough to refind the Harliquin Duck reported earlier. It was just south of the Circle Dr. bridge on the west side of the river. We think it is an adult male based on the white line on the side of the breast.

        Dan Sawatzky

        Regina

      • dtsawatzky
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 15, 2015

          Sorry I meant a first winter male,

          Dan Sawatzky

          Regina

        • William Davenport
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 15, 2015

            Dan, yesterday, when you said the Circle Drive Bridge, were you meaning the South Circle Drive Bridge ... the new one ?
            Bill
            Saskatoon
            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 15, 2015

              No I meant the one that is close to and north of the weir. So I guess that is the old Circle Dr bridge.

              Dan Sawatzky

              Regina

            • William Davenport
              Message 6 of 7 , Dec 15, 2015

                thank you.
                No I meant the one that is close to and north of the weir. So I guess that is the old Circle Dr bridge.

                Dan Sawatzky

                Regina

              • Olshanoski, Scott