Pine Warbler

  • Guy J. Wapple
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 6, 2004
      Fellow Birders,

      While not a "late" sighting in traditional Wapple fashion, I'd like to
      report that late yesterday afternoon (Friday, the 5th), my brother
      Robert saw a probable male Pine Warbler in his backyard at 740-4th St.
      East here in Saskatoon. The cross street is Dufferin and his house is
      on the corner on the south side of the street.

      While his only previous sighting of this species in another
      out-of-range bird in Calgary several years ago, he's quite certain of
      the identity. The bird most closely matched the illustration on Pg.
      306 of the National Geographic BIRDS OF NORTH AMERICA 3rd Edition,
      which ironically is in the Yellow-throated Vireo account! It fed
      briefly in his trees and on the ground, before flying over a couple of
      yards. Unfortunately, he was unable to re-locate the bird, and it
      hasn't shown up today either. He'll keep me posted and I'll update
      today if it shows up again. I'm home until late tonight when duty
      calls again.

      Cheers,

      Guy Wapple,
      S'toon