Migration

  • Bailey and Bjorklund
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 1 6:05 AM
      A quick way to get a broadbrush view of the birds that stay and those that
      leave in the winter, and where birds spend their time over the year, is to
      look at the range maps in your bird book.
    • Greg
      Message 2 of 17 , May 29, 2006
        I kow it is late, but we are cleaning the basement. I made some trips
        to the trash, and could not help but notice that there were a great
        many shorebirds peeping overhead. There was a steady stream of birds
        from about 11pm, and they are still flying overhead at 1am.

        Greg
      • Gordon A. Taylor
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 20, 2006
          The warbler/Vireo migration is certainly in full swing. I am leaving the fountain running over night in our pond. Last week we had visits from Yellow-rumped, Yellow, Black-polled,Orange-crowned, Palm, Tennessee, Blackburnian, Northern Waterthrush and Wilson's Warblers. The two Vireo's were the Philadelphia and the Warbling.

          Today Reta and I drove down to the Last Mountain Lake Wildlife and found the water filled with virtually every species of duck. The Sandhill Cranes were talking from high overhead then spiralling down out of their thermals to greet those already feeding or sleeping. There are probably five hundred there now.

          We spotted one Great Egret hunting at the south end of the drive around the lake section. Pelican and Double Crested Cormorants were both present but in smaller numbers tha in our July visit.

          There were several Swainson's Hawks present along with a couple of Red-tailed Hawks and many Northern Harriers. We spotted one Broad-winged Hawk riding a thermal southward alongside a light phase Red-tailed.

          Barn Swallows and Tree Swallows were still present in good numbers but the Purple Martins were absent.

          Ross Dixon of the CWF was mist-netting and banding in the shelter belts when we arrived and he most courteyesly gave us a tour.He showed us a Mourning Dove's nest with the mother and two young still in the nest.

          Good birding to all

        • Val
          Message 4 of 17 , Sep 14, 2007
            We've had a gathering of a dozen Yellow-shafted Northern Flickers at
            the farm this past week along with 20 or so American Robins. A
            Yellow-rumped Warbler is still drinking from the oriole feeder and
            the Downy Woodpecker is as well. The warbler is quite tame when
            we're watching it. White-crowned Sparrows have now appeared. We
            still have lots of Mourning Doves but they'll be surprised at their
            bird-bath drink this morning...need a chissel on the ice. We've seen
            Palm Warblers and others that we can't ID.

            We've been up and gone by 7:00 a.m. to daily babysit in Regina a few
            days this week so garden chores were done around 5:30 a.m. three
            days ago. The Rock Pigeons were out and about at that early time.
            You did wait for a chilly garden gathering Guy!! :-)

            The Swainson's Hawk data from Jared was really interesting as Elma
            McCormick phoned the other day that she saw a Swainson's Hawk on the
            street along Railway Avenue in Weyburn. A guy was approaching it so
            she stopped to see what was going on. Then another van stopped. When
            the guy got quite close the hawk flew up onto the van roof.
            Meanwhile the conservation officer had been phoned and came along
            and took the Swainson's. At this time I'd like to thank Jared for
            making our summer so especially interesting with his e-mails and
            Sanders updates and all the belly laughs. Just like when Jim reports
            on your experiences together, total fun. We appreciated you from the
            first time you enthusiastically came to our place. I remember Bob
            gave us a good report on you. You have so many dedicated friends and
            we know you have a lot of background support from those who work or
            bird with you..we enjoyed your co-announcing on birdline!! There are
            many special people on this birding forum who modestly go about
            doing their thing. We are thankful for the younger people who are so
            involved to carry on. We really enjoy taking part or hearing about
            what goes on from all of you. We look forward to the postings of all
            the great photos and stories of outings and backyard sightings from
            everyone. We enjoy all the friendships garnished through bird
            watching. Just felt a little blubbery this morning.

            So, we still have a Rough-legged Hawk in the area but yesterday
            was 'cool' with four Swainson's Hawks sitting on the fence posts
            that surround the open-pit nuisance ground just down the road from
            our place. A Merlin hangs around the yard. Our Bohemian Waxwing
            really jumps in alarm about his cage at times and we're thinking
            it's because a hawk or the merlin has gone by. By the way, he has
            now become a connoisseur of almost every type of food....whatever is
            on our plate he'll run over, take a piece off and devour it but
            blueberries, bananas and orange slices are his mainstay.

            Enough....heading in to work.

            Val T - McTaggart
          • valndoyle
            Message 5 of 17 , Sep 16
              We are about 2 Kms off the highway. When driving down the short drive along the country road today I found it interesting to see firstly about 8 Yellow-shafted Flickers when pulling out of our lane, then a little further along about 25 Western Meadowlarks flying by the road, then 30 or so American Robins by a farmyard and lastly a dozen Killdeer, all species in their little groupings and flying about. It's the time of the gatherings. When Doyle and Lawrence cleaned out one of the Purple Martin condos last week they found one dead adult male inside and six eggs. We estimate we had 15 pairs nesting in the houses., Val T - McTaggart