Regina P.M.

  • Jim Nordquist
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2004
      Lately I have been rather busy and haven't had much time to see daylight,let
      alone birds. Today,however I had some spare time and used it to check
      Wascana Marsh for Jared Clarke and his Brant. I was half successful in that
      I managed to run into Jared and we got to scan the marsh together,so really
      all successful. No brant,but four kinds of other geese; Canadas, greater
      white front(2),snows including two blue phased and Jared pointed out some
      cackling geese. Also, we saw eighteen sandhill cranes flying overhead. On
      the marsh there were swans,one pelican, and lots of handsome looking
      Northern shovellers. There were a lot more species,but it was a pleasant
      hour or two. After I left, I went to the mall and I was I was stepping out
      of my van I looked up and saw,I believe, a red tailed hawk. I looked further
      to my left and saw a large white bird soaring slowly south ward. A quick
      look through slightly unfocused binos suggested that what ever it was,it had
      a bright pink patagial wing tag. Grab cell phone,start dialing Jared and
      looking again at UFO,which has suddenly gone east a fair distance,focus
      binos and,voila, a 737 or something similar. Quickly I hang up and wander
      off,laughing at my self. A couple of hours later,I was having supper and out
      the kitchen window I can see thousands of snow geese flying south. A great
      end to a pleasant but short afternoon off work. Thanks Jared, who I am sure
      has more to add.
      Jim Nordquist