2002 Saskatchewan Bird List

  • Harv Lane
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 6, 2002
      Howdy,

      I was nice to get all those CBC emails today.  I have updated the 2002 list for Saskatchewan and we are currently sitting at 45 species for the first week of the year.  Keep those cards and letters coming folks ... I am guessing we can get a list of 325 species this year!

      Cheers,
      Harv

      Saskatchewan 2002 Bird List

      1. Canada Goose
      2. Mallard
      3. Redhead
      4. Lesser Scaup
      5. Common Goldeneye
      6. Common Merganser
      7. Bald Eagle
      8. Rough-legged Hawk
      9. Willow Ptarmigan
      10. Sharp-tailed Grouse
      11. Gray Partridge
      12. Ring-necked Pheasant
      13. Rock Dove
      14. Great Horned Owl
      15. Hairy Woodpecker
      16. Three-toed Woodpecker
      17. Northern Flicker
      18. Horned Lark
      19. Golden-crowned Kinglet
      20. Bohemian Waxwing
      21. Cedar Waxwing
      22. Mountain Bluebird
      23. American Robin
      24. Varied Thrush
      25. Black-capped Chickadee
      26. Red-breasted Nuthatch
      27. White-breasted Nuthatch
      28. Brown Creeper
      29. Northern Shrike
      30. Gray Jay
      31. Blue Jay
      32. Black-billed Magpie
      33. American Crow
      34. Common Raven
      35. European Starling
      36. Dark-eyed Junco
      37. Lapland Longspur
      38. Snow Bunting
      39. Pine Grosbeak
      40. Purple Finch
      41. House Finch
      42. White-winged Crossbill
      43. Common Redpoll
      44. Hoary Redpoll
      45. House Sparrow
    • tsb2001
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 7, 2002
        Harv
        I saw a Common Grackle yesterday at Inez Benesh's Regina Feeder. Sandy Ayer also reports a few at a feeder near his home.

        A Rough-legged Hawk was report by Miriam and Dean Richert on Dewdney West of Regina on the 4th.

        The female Red-bellied Woodpecker is still seen regularly at Tom Riffel's backyard plus within Douglas Park nearby.

        Take care
        Bob
      • tsb2001
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 7, 2002
          Harvey & Brenda
          Still hoping that you can get a Rock Ptarmigan among the Willows. Apparently
          they are often found mixed in within Willow flocks in your area.

          There has been a significant movement of Great Grey Owls into Manitoba this
          Winter. Any sign of this within your area? Perhaps they are further much
          further South.

          Take care
          Bob Luterbach
          Regina
        • Brenda Schmidt
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 7, 2002
            Hi,
            You can add Boreal Chickadee and Northern Goshawk if you like - both
            seen a short ways down a trucking road off the Hanson Lake Road - the
            road is 1.5 km from the Tyrell Lake turnoff toward Creighton. Ptarmigan
            seen there again today.

            Harvey & Brenda Schmidt
            Creighton
          • tsb2001
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 7, 2002
              Brenda & Harvey
              Thanks for the info about the Great Gray Owls .

              I just noticed that we still need Barred Owl as well for our list. Keep your
              eyes peeled for that species, too! Perhaps you are too far north for that
              one.

              Good luck on your birding trip !

              Take care
              Bob Luterbach
              Regina
            • Brenda Schmidt
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 7, 2002
                Hi Bob,
                We're trying to find a Rock Ptarmigan among them, but so far no luck. If
                the weather holds we should have four days of solid birding starting
                Thursday. Another person on Saskbirds is traveling to Creighton early
                this week. Hopefully he'll have better luck.
                Yes, the Great Gray Owls are just a bit south of here - usually seen in
                good numbers from Caribou Creek to Sturgeon Weir.
                Cheers,
                Harvey & Brenda
              • Martin Bailey
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 8, 2002
                  Female Downy Woodpecker
                  (Immature) female Snowy Owl - quite a spectacular sight. Flew up from a field that was without snow within the city limits of Weyburn.

                  Martin

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 11, 2002
                    Howdy folks,

                    Here's a quick note with all the up-to-date additions on the list.  I'm also continuing to work on the Christmas Bird Counts and have most of the data entered.  I'll post it the Saskbirds 'e-groups' site in a little while and you will then be able to go in a fix any mistakes that I've made on your count.  With some counts, like the Pike Lake Count, I've been holding off waiting for a final count from the coordinator ... perhaps I've have to call Frank and get the final numbers directly from him.

                    Cheers,
                    Harv

                    Saskatchewan 2002 Bird List

                    1. American White Pelican
                    2. Canada Goose
                    3. Mallard
                    4. Redhead
                    5. Lesser Scaup
                    6. Common Goldeneye
                    7. Common Merganser
                    8. Bald Eagle
                    9. Northern Goshawk
                    10. Rough-legged Hawk
                    11. Willow Ptarmigan
                    12. Ruffed Grouse
                    13. Sharp-tailed Grouse
                    14. Gray Partridge
                    15. Ring-necked Pheasant
                    16. Rock Dove
                    17. Great Horned Owl
                    18. Snowy Owl
                    19. Northern Hawk Owl
                    20. Red-bellied Woodpecker
                    21. Downy Woodpecker
                    22. Hairy Woodpecker
                    23. Three-toed Woodpecker
                    24. Northern Flicker
                    25. Pileated Woodpecker
                    26. Horned Lark
                    27. Golden-crowned Kinglet
                    28. Bohemian Waxwing
                    29. Cedar Waxwing
                    30. Mountain Bluebird
                    31. American Robin
                    32. Varied Thrush
                    33. Black-capped Chickadee
                    34. Boreal Chickadee
                    35. Red-breasted Nuthatch
                    36. White-breasted Nuthatch
                    37. Brown Creeper
                    38. Northern Shrike
                    39. Gray Jay
                    40. Blue Jay
                    41. Black-billed Magpie
                    42. American Crow
                    43. Common Raven
                    44. European Starling
                    45. Dark-eyed Junco
                    46. Lapland Longspur
                    47. Snow Bunting
                    48. Rusty Blackbird
                    49. Common Grackle
                    50. Pine Grosbeak
                    51. Purple Finch
                    52. House Finch
                    53. White-winged Crossbill
                    54. Common Redpoll
                    55. Hoary Redpoll
                    56. House Sparrow
                  • Harv Lane
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 31, 2002
                      Hi folks,

                      I'm certainly envious of those folks in Surrey.  119 species by the end of January and here we are freezing the ends off our binoculars ... and other parts!!!  We've had almost a week of temperatures hovering around the -30 degree mark with significant wind chill at times and I spend many hours thinking "South America" at times like these.  Every time I look at that Surrey list and all the potential lifers I start thinking .... birding trip.

                      Our January list is stalled at 61 species.  It will probably be a good 2 months before we add our next 10 species.   April should see us add a few more as some of the hardier species begin to make their way back north and May, with full migration, will see a good number.

                      Guy's life list in Saskatchewan, 321 species, is a good list but it has been accumulated over the last many, many, many years.  My list is a little higher, 329 species, but then I don't do the majority of my birding from the windows of a train!!!  Some day Guy will begin birding in the regular fashion, too.

                      Here's the current list of Saskatchewan birds for you folks in Surrey to look at and you folk in Saskatchewan to see what needs to be added.

                      Cheers,
                      Harv

                      Saskatchewan 2002 Bird List

                      1. American White Pelican
                      2. Canada Goose
                      3. Mallard
                      4. Redhead
                      5. Lesser Scaup
                      6. Common Goldeneye
                      7. Bufflehead
                      8. Common Merganser
                      9. Bald Eagle
                      10. Northern Goshawk
                      11. Rough-legged Hawk
                      12. Gyrfalcon
                      13. Willow Ptarmigan
                      14. Ruffed Grouse
                      15. Sharp-tailed Grouse
                      16. Gray Partridge
                      17. Ring-necked Pheasant
                      18. Rock Dove
                      19. Great Horned Owl
                      20. Snowy Owl
                      21. Northern Hawk Owl
                      22. Red-bellied Woodpecker
                      23. Downy Woodpecker
                      24. Hairy Woodpecker
                      25. Three-toed Woodpecker
                      26. Northern Flicker
                      27. Pileated Woodpecker
                      28. Horned Lark
                      29. Golden-crowned Kinglet
                      30. Bohemian Waxwing
                      31. Cedar Waxwing
                      32. Mountain Bluebird
                      33. American Robin
                      34. Varied Thrush
                      35. Black-capped Chickadee
                      36. Boreal Chickadee
                      37. Red-breasted Nuthatch
                      38. White-breasted Nuthatch
                      39. Brown Creeper
                      40. Northern Shrike
                      41. Gray Jay
                      42. Blue Jay
                      43. Black-billed Magpie
                      44. American Crow
                      45. Common Raven
                      46. European Starling
                      47. Harris’ Sparrow
                      48. Dark-eyed Junco
                      49. Lapland Longspur
                      50. Snow Bunting
                      51. Rusty Blackbird
                      52. Common Grackle
                      53. Brown-headed Cowbird
                      54. Pine Grosbeak
                      55. Purple Finch
                      56. House Finch
                      57. White-winged Crossbill
                      58. Common Redpoll
                      59. Hoary Redpoll
                      60. Pine Siskin
                      61. House Sparrow
                    • Harv Lane
                      Message 10 of 16 , Aug 18, 2002
                        Howdy folks,

                        It's been a long and interesting summer with entirely too much unusual weather.  Right now it's cool and rainy in Saskatoon but there is a suggestion that the weather will improve as the week progresses.  I've been holding off on sending out our list until we got something new but that hasn't happened this summer.  I'm hoping that a quick look at the list will jog someone's memory and we'll get some new birds for the list.  We are still standing at 289 species.  I can't believe we didn't get to 300 by the end of June.  There didn't seem to be any rarities seen in June.  I wonder now if we'll get enough of them in fall to get to 300 for the year.

                        Obviously, Surrey is just too small an area for make this competition close.  Would it be closer if we tried to compete again England as a whole?  I think the areas involved would be much closer in size and I expect the competition would be a little more intense ... especially after May.  Perhaps Ken can tell us if that would work.

                        For now, just take a quick look at the list and see if I'm missing anything you've seen this year.

                        Cheers,
                        Harv

                        Saskatchewan 2002 Bird List

                        1. Common Loon (Great Northern Diver)
                        2. Pied-billed Grebe
                        3. Red-necked Grebe
                        4. Horned Grebe (Slavonian Grebe)
                        5. Eared Grebe (Black-necked Grebe)
                        6. Western Grebe
                        7. Clark’s Grebe
                        8. American White Pelican
                        9. Double-crested Cormorant
                        10. Great Blue Heron
                        11. Great Egret
                        12. Black-crowned Night-Heron
                        13. American Bittern
                        14. White-faced Ibis
                        15. Tundra Swan
                        16. Greater White-fronted Goose
                        17. Snow Goose
                        18. Ross’s Goose
                        19. Canada Goose
                        20. Wood Duck
                        21. Eurasian Widgeon
                        22. American Wigeon
                        23. Gadwall
                        24. Green-winged Teal
                        25. Mallard
                        26. American Black Duck
                        27. Northern Pintail
                        28. Garganey
                        29. Blue-winged Teal
                        30. Cinnamon Teal
                        31. Northern Shoveler
                        32. Canvasback
                        33. Redhead
                        34. Ring-necked Duck
                        35. Greater Scaup
                        36. Lesser Scaup
                        37. White-winged Scoter
                        38. Common Goldeneye (Goldeneye)
                        39. Bufflehead
                        40. Hooded Merganser
                        41. Red-breasted Merganser
                        42. Common Merganser (Goosander)
                        43. Ruddy Duck
                        44. Turkey Vulture
                        45. Osprey
                        46. Bald Eagle
                        47. Northern Harrier
                        48. Sharp-shinned Hawk
                        49. Cooper’s Hawk
                        50. Northern Goshawk
                        51. Broad-winged Hawk
                        52. Swainson’s Hawk
                        53. Red-tailed Hawk
                        54. Ferruginous Hawk
                        55. Rough-legged Hawk (Rough-legged Buzzard)
                        56. Golden Eagle
                        57. American Kestrel
                        58. Merlin
                        59. Gyrfalcon
                        60. Prairie Falcon
                        61. Peregrine Falcon
                        62. Spruce Grouse
                        63. Willow Ptarmigan (Red Grouse)
                        64. Ruffed Grouse
                        65. Greater Sage-Grouse
                        66. Sharp-tailed Grouse
                        67. Gray Partridge (Grey Partridge)
                        68. Ring-necked Pheasant (Pheasant)
                        69. Sandhill Crane
                        70. Whooping Crane
                        71. Yellow Rail
                        72. Virginia Rail
                        73. Sora
                        74. American Coot
                        75. Black-necked Stilt
                        76. American Avocet
                        77. American Golden-Plover
                        78. Black-bellied Plover (Grey Plover)
                        79. Semipalmated Plover
                        80. Killdeer
                        81. Piping Plover
                        82. Common Snipe
                        83. Short-billed Dowitcher
                        84. Long-billed Dowitcher
                        85. Hudsonian Godwit
                        86. Marbled Godwit
                        87. Whimbrel
                        88. Long-billed Curlew
                        89. Upland Sandpiper
                        90. Greater Yellowlegs
                        91. Lesser Yellowlegs
                        92. Solitary Sandpiper
                        93. Spotted Sandpiper
                        94. Willet
                        95. Ruddy Turnstone
                        96. Red Knot
                        97. Sanderling
                        98. Semipalmated Sandpiper
                        99. Least Sandpiper
                        100. White-rumped Sandpiper
                        101. Baird’s Sandpiper
                        102. Pectoral Sandpiper
                        103. Dunlin
                        104. Stilt Sandpiper
                        105. Buff-breasted Sandpiper
                        106. Wilson’s Phalarope
                        107. Red-necked Phalarope
                        108. Ring-billed Gull
                        109. California Gull
                        110. Glaucous Gull
                        111. Iceland Gull
                        112. Herring Gull
                        113. Bonaparte’s Gull
                        114. Franklin’s Gull
                        115. Caspian Tern
                        116. Common Tern
                        117. Forster’s Tern
                        118. Black Tern
                        119. Rock Dove
                        120. Eurasian Collared-Dove (Collared Dove)
                        121. Mourning Dove
                        122. Black-billed Cuckoo
                        123. Great Horned Owl
                        124. Snowy Owl
                        125. Barred Owl
                        126. Great Gray Owl
                        127. Northern Hawk Owl
                        128. Burrowing Owl
                        129. Boreal Owl
                        130. Northern Saw-whet Owl
                        131. Long-eared Owl
                        132. Short-eared Owl
                        133. Common Nighthawk
                        134. Chimney Swift
                        135. Ruby-throated Hummingbird
                        136. Rufous Hummingbird
                        137. Belted Kingfisher
                        138. Red-headed Woodpecker
                        139. Red-bellied Woodpecker
                        140. Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
                        141. Red-naped Sapsucker
                        142. Downy Woodpecker
                        143. Hairy Woodpecker
                        144. Three-toed Woodpecker
                        145. Black-backed Woodpecker
                        146. Northern Flicker
                        147. Pileated Woodpecker
                        148. Olive-sided Flycatcher
                        149. Western Wood-Pewee
                        150. Eastern Wood-Pewee
                        151. Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
                        152. Alder Flycatcher
                        153. Willow Flycatcher
                        154. Least Flycatcher
                        155. Dusky Flycatcher
                        156. Eastern Phoebe
                        157. Say’s Phoebe
                        158. Great Crested Flycatcher
                        159. Western Kingbird
                        160. Eastern Kingbird
                        161. Horned Lark (Shore Lark)
                        162. Purple Martin
                        163. Tree Swallow
                        164. Violet-green Swallow
                        165. Northern Rough-winged Swallow
                        166. Bank Swallow (Sand Martin)
                        167. Cliff Swallow
                        168. Barn Swallow
                        169. American Pipit
                        170. Sprague’s Pipit
                        171. Golden-crowned Kinglet
                        172. Ruby-crowned Kinglet
                        173. Bohemian Waxwing
                        174. Cedar Waxwing
                        175. Rock Wren
                        176. House Wren
                        177. Sedge Wren
                        178. Marsh Wren
                        179. Gray Catbird
                        180. Northern Mockingbird
                        181. Sage Thrasher
                        182. Brown Thrasher
                        183. Eastern Bluebird
                        184. Mountain Bluebird
                        185. Townsend’s Solitaire
                        186. Veery
                        187. Gray-cheeked Thrush
                        188. Swainson’s Thrush
                        189. Hermit Thrush
                        190. American Robin
                        191. Varied Thrush
                        192. Black-capped Chickadee
                        193. Boreal Chickadee
                        194. Red-breasted Nuthatch
                        195. White-breasted Nuthatch
                        196. Brown Creeper
                        197. Loggerhead Shrike
                        198. Northern Shrike (Great Grey Shrike)
                        199. Gray Jay
                        200. Blue Jay
                        201. Black-billed Magpie
                        202. American Crow
                        203. Common Raven (Raven)
                        204. European Starling (Starling)
                        205. Yellow-throated Vireo
                        206. Blue-headed Vireo
                        207. Warbling Vireo
                        208. Philadelphia Vireo
                        209. Red-eyed Vireo
                        210. Tennessee Warbler
                        211. Orange-crowned Warbler
                        212. Nashville Warbler
                        213. Yellow Warbler
                        214. Black-throated Blue Warbler
                        215. Chestnut-sided Warbler
                        216. Magnolia Warbler
                        217. Cape May Warbler
                        218. Yellow-rumped Warbler
                        219. Black-throated Green Warbler
                        220. Blackburnian Warbler
                        221. Pine Warbler
                        222. Palm Warbler
                        223. Bay-breasted Warbler
                        224. Blackpoll Warbler
                        225. Black-and-White Warbler
                        226. American Redstart
                        227. Ovenbird
                        228. Northern Waterthrush
                        229. Connecticut Warbler
                        230. Mourning Warbler
                        231. MacGillivray’s Warbler
                        232. Common Yellowthroat
                        233. Wilson’s Warbler
                        234. Canada Warbler
                        235. Yellow-breasted Chat
                        236. Western Tanager
                        237. Eastern Towhee
                        238. Spotted Towhee
                        239. American Tree Sparrow
                        240. Chipping Sparrow
                        241. Clay-coloured Sparrow
                        242. Brewer’s Sparrow
                        243. Versper Sparrow
                        244. Lark Sparrow
                        245. Lark Bunting
                        246. Savannah Sparrow
                        247. Nelson’s Sharp-tailed Sparrow
                        248. Le Conte’s Sparrow
                        249. Baird’s Sparrow
                        250. Grasshopper Sparrow
                        251. Fox Sparrow
                        252. Song Sparrow
                        253. Lincoln’s Sparrow
                        254. Swamp Sparrow
                        255. White-crowned Sparrow
                        256. White-throated Sparrow
                        257. Harris’ Sparrow
                        258. Dark-eyed Junco
                        259. McCown’s Longspur
                        260. Lapland Longspur (Lapland Bunting)
                        261. Smith’s Longspur
                        262. Chestnut-collared Longspur
                        263. Snow Bunting
                        264. Rose-breasted Grosbeak
                        265. Black-headed Grosbeak
                        266. Lazuli Bunting
                        267. Indigo Bunting
                        268. Bobolink
                        269. Red-winged Blackbird
                        270. Western Meadowlark
                        271. Yellow-headed Blackbird
                        272. Rusty Blackbird
                        273. Brewer’s Blackbird
                        274. Common Grackle
                        275. Brown-headed Cowbird
                        276. Baltimore Oriole
                        277. Bullock’s Oriole
                        278. Orchard Oriole
                        279. Pine Grosbeak
                        280. Purple Finch
                        281. House Finch
                        282. Red Crossbill (Common Crossbill)
                        283. White-winged Crossbill (Two-barred Crossbill)
                        284. Common Redpoll
                        285. Hoary Redpoll
                        286. Pine Siskin
                        287. American Goldfinch
                        288. Evening Grosbeak
                        289. House Sparrow
                      • Brenda Schmidt
                        Message 11 of 16 , Aug 18, 2002
                          The Winter Wren (along grid from Denare Beach to Sturgeon-Weir) can be
                          added.

                          Brenda Schmidt
                          Creighton, SK
                        • Kenneth Noble
                          Message 12 of 16 , Aug 18, 2002
                            Dear Harv
                            Interesting suggestion! But do you mean birds that
                            Surreybirders see in England (or the UK?) as a whole,
                            or a competition with the whole English birding scene
                            (where some twitchers reckon to see 300+ personally
                            per year--which is pretty frantic when you consider
                            that my UK list is still only around the 275 mark
                            after some 30 years of birding!).
                            Another possibility would be to regard this year's
                            total as 'par' (for the golfers among you) and see
                            whether we can break par in 2003?
                            I'll post this to Surreybirders, too, and see if I get
                            any suggestions.
                            Hope you all have some good fall rarities.
                            Ken

                            --- Harv Lane <hdlane@...> wrote: > Howdy folks,

> [...]
                            > 205.. Yellow-throated Vireo
                            > 206.. Blue-headed Vireo
                            > 207.. Warbling Vireo
                            > 208.. Philadelphia Vireo
                            > 209.. Red-eyed Vireo
                            > 210.. Tennessee Warbler
                            > 211.. Orange-crowned Warbler
                            > 212.. Nashville Warbler
                            > 213.. Yellow Warbler
                            > 214.. Black-throated Blue Warbler
                            > 215.. Chestnut-sided Warbler
                            > 216.. Magnolia Warbler
                            > 217.. Cape May Warbler
                            > 218.. Yellow-rumped Warbler
                            > 219.. Black-throated Green Warbler
                            > 220.. Blackburnian Warbler
                            > 221.. Pine Warbler
                            > 222.. Palm Warbler
                            > 223.. Bay-breasted Warbler
                            > 224.. Blackpoll Warbler
                            > 225.. Black-and-White Warbler
                            > 226.. American Redstart
                            > 227.. Ovenbird
                            > 228.. Northern Waterthrush
                            > 229.. Connecticut Warbler
                            > 230.. Mourning Warbler
                            > 231.. MacGillivray's Warbler
                            > 232.. Common Yellowthroat
                            > 233.. Wilson's Warbler
                            > 234.. Canada Warbler
                            > 235.. Yellow-breasted Chat
                            > 236.. Western Tanager
                            > 237.. Eastern Towhee
                            > 238.. Spotted Towhee
                            > 239.. American Tree Sparrow
                            > 240.. Chipping Sparrow
                            > 241.. Clay-coloured Sparrow
                            > 242.. Brewer's Sparrow
                            > 243.. Versper Sparrow
                            > 244.. Lark Sparrow
                            > 245.. Lark Bunting
                            > 246.. Savannah Sparrow
                            > 247.. Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow
                            > 248.. Le Conte's Sparrow
                            > 249.. Baird's Sparrow
                            > 250.. Grasshopper Sparrow
                            > 251.. Fox Sparrow
                            > 252.. Song Sparrow
                            > 253.. Lincoln's Sparrow
                            > 254.. Swamp Sparrow
                            > 255.. White-crowned Sparrow
                            > 256.. White-throated Sparrow
                            > 257.. Harris' Sparrow
                            > 258.. Dark-eyed Junco
                            > 259.. McCown's Longspur
                            > 260.. Lapland Longspur (Lapland Bunting)
                            > 261.. Smith's Longspur
                            > 262.. Chestnut-collared Longspur
                            > 263.. Snow Bunting
                            > 264.. Rose-breasted Grosbeak
                            > 265.. Black-headed Grosbeak
                            > 266.. Lazuli Bunting
                            > 267.. Indigo Bunting
                            > 268.. Bobolink
                            > 269.. Red-winged Blackbird
                            > 270.. Western Meadowlark
                            > 271.. Yellow-headed Blackbird
                            > 272.. Rusty Blackbird
                            > 273.. Brewer's Blackbird
                            > 274.. Common Grackle
                            > 275.. Brown-headed Cowbird
                            > 276.. Baltimore Oriole
                            > 277.. Bullock's Oriole
                            > 278.. Orchard Oriole
                            > 279.. Pine Grosbeak
                            > 280.. Purple Finch
                            > 281.. House Finch
                            > 282.. Red Crossbill (Common Crossbill)
                            > 283.. White-winged Crossbill (Two-barred

                            =====
                            http://uk.my.yahoo.com
                          • micknsharon
                            Message 13 of 16 , Aug 19, 2002
                              Ken and Harv, one way to even things up a bit would be to compete
                              against mainland England, excluding off shore islands where a lot of
                              rarities get seen and not count pelagic sightings. Sorry to exclude
                              Wales and Scotland but I think that would give the British team a
                              huge advantage. The only problem would be co-ordinating things on
                              Ken's side unless he is in regular contact with all the county
                              recorders. Saskatchewan's biggest disadvantage would be the number of
                              players on each side.

                              Incidentally Harv on your list you could add the name Hen Harrier in
                              brackets next to Northern Harrier.

                              Cheers
                              Mick
                              Saskatoon

                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 19, 2002
                                Hi Mick & Ken,

                                This is sort of the idea that I had. I just wasn't sure how to define the
                                area. Do you think that this area would provide a list in the range of 300
                                or so species, Ken?

                                Cheers,
                                Harv

                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 19, 2002
                                  Dear Mick and Harv,
                                  You are challenging me here! a) I'm not at all sure
                                  how many species are seen annually in England (as
                                  opposed to the UK)-- in fact, I've never heard of
                                  anyone keeping a separate English list, though I
                                  personally keep a Scottish list!
                                  b) I'm not in touch with enough people on the English
                                  birding scene to be able to provide a realistic list.

                                  I'll forward your messages to Surreybirders and see
                                  what they suggest, if anything!!

                                  (The UK list stands at c560 species, with several
                                  additions this year alone. I believe that the best
                                  year-list is around the 365 mark [i.e. one per day!].
                                  From memory--always fallible--the top listers in the
                                  county of Kent [our coastal neighbours] have seen
                                  around about that figure for their life-time Kent
                                  lists. I suppose one possibility would be for
                                  Saskbirders to challenge Kosnet Yahoogroup to a year
                                  listing challenge--though I'd be sorry to lose the
                                  contact between Surreybirders and Saskbirders.)

                                  Any more ideas out there?
                                  Ken
                                  cc surreybirders

                                  --- Harv Lane <hdlane@...> wrote: > Hi Mick & Ken,

                                  > This is sort of the idea that I had. I just wasn't
                                  > sure how to define the
                                  > area. Do you think that this area would provide a
                                  > list in the range of 300
                                  > or so species, Ken?
                                  >
                                  > Cheers,
                                  > Harv

                                  =====
                                  http://uk.my.yahoo.com
                                • micknsharon
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Aug 19, 2002
                                    Ken, Harv and any other interested parties, there are several
                                    counties in England where individual bird watchers have ticked over
                                    300 birds this year already, 365 in Yorkshire is at the top.
                                    Surfbirds.com has a section especially for listers and if you look at

                                    http://www.surfbirds.com/cgi-bin/surfbirds/display.cgi?
                                    list=list10&lowVal=0&highVal=49

                                    You will see the top individuals and thier numbers for the year. If a
                                    bunch of these decided to add their records to Surrey's competition
                                    list Sk would be in for a good hiding. Unless of course we can get
                                    more people watching in Sk and passing on the info, for example from
                                    wardens in National or Provincial parks. Whatever route we take lets
                                    not lose the link between Surrey and Saskatchewan.....at least that
                                    way there will be some people in Britain who have heard of
                                    Saskatchewan!!!

                                    Cheers
                                    Mick