Re: [Saskbirds] Birding at Christmas

  • Bailey and Bjorklund
    Message 1 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
      From: "Ingrid Cattley" <ingridh@...>
      To: <Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, September 06, 2004 5:38 PM
      Subject: [Saskbirds] Birding at Christmas

      > Hi all
      >
      > Graham and I (and baby Alexandra) are planning to spend Christmas in
      > Grenfell. We would be very grateful for any advice about the best way
      > to do some birding at that time (or will it be too late in the year
      > for this to be feasible?).
      >
      > Ingrid
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Bailey and Bjorklund
      Message 2 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
        > Hi all
        >
        > Graham and I (and baby Alexandra) are planning to spend Christmas in
        > Grenfell. We would be very grateful for any advice about the best way
        > to do some birding at that time (or will it be too late in the year
        > for this to be feasible?).
        >
        > Ingrid

        There are many locations in Saskatchewan where Christmas bird counts have
        been carried out for around fifty years continuously now. As a yearly total
        there are usually around one hundred counts in different locations taking
        place.

        While no count happened in Grenfell in 2003, there was one at Indian Head,
        Broadview and at Whitewood.

        For results look in any March issue of the Blue Jay. Or for an overview see
        my article in Birding: February, 1997.

        Martin.
      • valndoyle
        Message 3 of 7 , Sep 6, 2004
          One great birding area (about 40 minutes from Grenfell) is White Bear
          Lake in the Moose Mountain Park area. You would drive east to Highway
          #9 and then down to White Bear Lake. It is a cottage area. Every year
          a few go from Weyburn to do a Christmas Bird Count and are not
          disappointed too often. There are Pileated Woodpeckers that winter
          over in the area plus Black-capped Chickadees and Redpolls, etc. I
          believe there is a restaurant at closeby Kenosee Lake that stays open
          year round. Whatever you decide, good luck.

          Val from McTaggart

          Message 4 of 7 , Sep 8, 2004
            Ingrid
            The number of species available in winter is much reduced in winter;however, the quality does sometimes make up for this. Many of the permanent residents come to various feeders and others are readily apparent if they are around.

            As already mentioned the Christmas Bird Counts are useful in locating and identifying these. You may as well wish to set up some feeders in order to attract some of the local birds.

            As a rule birds soon find new feeding stations at locations and quickly establish a ''trap line" approach wandering about in clans or mixed flocks within an area searching for food sources.

            Once you arrive you can ask for specific types of feeders which can provide you with some local birds. Others will require some awareness of specific habitats to assist with the search.

            Take care
            Bob Luterbach
            Graham and I (and baby Alexandra) are planning to spend Christmas in
            Grenfell. We would be very grateful for any advice about the best way
            to do some birding at that time (or will it be too late in the year
            for this to be feasible?).

            Ingrid

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

            Message 5 of 7 , Sep 8, 2004
              Ingrid
              What I meant to say is that some species are present some winters and not others.

              Many winter species are generally found throughout the entire Province in a variety of habitats. Some special ones would require a trip to the north to an area such as Candle Lake or Prince Albert National Park.

              These areas are a long journey away and would require an overnight stay or several days:; however, visiting these areas would be memorable from a number perspectives.

              Good Birding
              Bob

              Message 6 of 7 , Sep 16, 2004
                Hello all

                We would like to thank all of you who contacted us to give us advice
                about birding opportunities in the Grenfell area at Christmas. We are
                now eagerly looking forward to taking part in the bird counts.

                Ingrid Cattley
                Sydney, Australia
                Grenfell, Saskatchewan