Lakewood Park, Saskatoon

  • el_supremo01
    Message 1 of 50 , Aug 31, 2004
      When I went there this evening I met a woman who I have chatted with
      occasionally over the past two years. After we'd exchanged greetings
      she asked me if I had seen the crane or heron that had been there for
      the last 5 days! I hadn't been there since the 27th but hadn't seen
      it then. She told me that she had just seen it at the edge of the
      reeds on the north side of the inlet pond which was close to where we
      were and about 20 seconds later she pointed and said "There it is".
      Sure enough, it strolled up onto the shore at the northwest end of
      the inlet pond - a Great Blue Heron!!!
      The sun was getting quite low on the horizon and was being covered up
      by cloud (it was almost 7pm) and after she left I went over and got
      as many shots as I could. I tried to be careful not to spook it and
      got some great looks at it from only about 30 feet away. It was
      really amazing to be able to watch it stalk and then strike at a
      minnow.
      http://members.shaw.ca/digipete/GBHE_640_0408_8278.jpg

      And that's not all. Before I saw the heron I had seen a young Sora in
      the marsh and a few minutes later also saw an adult.

      Also seen:
      Pied-billed Grebe - 2
      Mallard - 12
      Gadwall - 5
      Blue-winged Teal - 12
      Ruddy duck - 2 hens and 2 ducklings
      Cedar Waxwings

      Best Wishes
      Pete
    • el_supremo01
      Message 50 of 50 , Oct 5, 2006
        I wandered around Lakewood Park yesterday afternoon. A UofS student
        was doing a survey of park users and for my trouble in answering a few
        questions I received a nice Ducks Unlimited poster.

        There have been about a dozen American Tree Sparrows foraging in the
        park for about a week now and one finally made the mistake of staying
        still with only one twig between it and me.
        http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/ATSP_640s_0610_3113.jpg

        A few weeks ago I saw two American Bitterns and two Great Blue Herons
        but we appear to be down to just one Great Blue Heron now. I presume
        that this is a youngster.
        http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/GBHE_640s_0610_3116.jpg

        There are about 6 Greater Yellowlegs around the marsh and outlet pond
        - this one was trying to sleep.
        http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/GRYE_640s_0610_3178.jpg

        While I was walking along the edge of the marsh I surprised a Wilson's
        Snipe which exploded out of the reeds and flew to the far end of the
        marsh.

        I could hear a Marsh Wren chattering and scolding from within some
        reeds on the southeast side of the inlet pond and I caught occasional
        glimpses of it. Eventually it too made the mistake of staying still
        out in the open and met the same fate as the American Tree Sparrow - I
        shot it.
        http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/MAWR_640s_0610_3127.jpg
        http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/MAWR_640s_0610_3135.jpg

        Also at the inlet pond I spotted this bird working its way along the
        edge of the reeds but it was moving away from me and I only got a
        distant look at it. I've labelled it a Vesper Sparrow but maybe it's a
        Savannah or something else entirely.
        http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/qVESP.jpg
        Can someone ID this for me please?

        Best Wishes