Lakewood Park, Saskatoon

  • el_supremo01
    Message 1 of 50 , Aug 10, 2004
      When I went to the park on the 7th I saw an Orange-crowned Warbler.
      Today I saw a female Ruddy Duck with three very young ducklings.
      Other than that there were the usuals:
      2 Mallard hens each with 8 older ducklings.
      1 Gadwall hen with 7 older ducklings
      Blue-winged Teal hen
      Magpies
      Crows
      Clay-coloured Sparrows
      Cedar Waxwings
      heard at least 3 Soras
      a Merlin swooped by chasing a bird which somehow escaped unharmed.

      Best Wishes
      Pete
    • el_supremo01
      Message 50 of 50 , Oct 5, 2006
        I wandered around Lakewood Park yesterday afternoon. A UofS student
        was doing a survey of park users and for my trouble in answering a few
        questions I received a nice Ducks Unlimited poster.

        There have been about a dozen American Tree Sparrows foraging in the
        park for about a week now and one finally made the mistake of staying
        still with only one twig between it and me.
        http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/ATSP_640s_0610_3113.jpg

        A few weeks ago I saw two American Bitterns and two Great Blue Herons
        but we appear to be down to just one Great Blue Heron now. I presume
        that this is a youngster.
        http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/GBHE_640s_0610_3116.jpg

        There are about 6 Greater Yellowlegs around the marsh and outlet pond
        - this one was trying to sleep.
        http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/GRYE_640s_0610_3178.jpg

        While I was walking along the edge of the marsh I surprised a Wilson's
        Snipe which exploded out of the reeds and flew to the far end of the
        marsh.

        I could hear a Marsh Wren chattering and scolding from within some
        reeds on the southeast side of the inlet pond and I caught occasional
        glimpses of it. Eventually it too made the mistake of staying still
        out in the open and met the same fate as the American Tree Sparrow - I
        shot it.
        http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/MAWR_640s_0610_3127.jpg
        http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/MAWR_640s_0610_3135.jpg

        Also at the inlet pond I spotted this bird working its way along the
        edge of the reeds but it was moving away from me and I only got a
        distant look at it. I've labelled it a Vesper Sparrow but maybe it's a
        Savannah or something else entirely.
        http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/qVESP.jpg
        Can someone ID this for me please?

        Best Wishes