Migration

  • Bailey and Bjorklund
    Message 1 of 16 , Aug 10, 2004
      In the middle of the night - last night - Carol heard Upland Sandpipers
      calling.
      It is amazing that many birds that are active during the day migrate at
      night.
      Studies seem to indicate that during migration some birds go without sleep
      for days
      without any change in their ability to cope. They do not suffer sleep
      deprivation.

      Martin
    • Greg
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 24, 2004
        Hello all.

        I have a question for everyone out there concerning some of our more
        common feathered friends. Re: American Robin, Blackbirds (variety),
        all finch species, warblers, sparrow species, shorebirds, and any
        other observations you may have. What I am interested in is migration
        timing (early, late on time for your areas) numbers (up, down,
        unchanged), activity at feeders and who is still here. Are there any
        species that you have not seen yet that you usually see? There has
        been sporatic mention of shorebird activity; duck, geese etc are just
        starting but does anyone see any unusual patterns developing?

        and any other tidbits that you may wnat to share

        a sidebar great picture of the Egret WOW, and those Hawk numbers, a
        little slice of natures wonder.

        thank you

        Greg
      • Bailey and Bjorklund
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2004
          A quick way to get a broadbrush view of the birds that stay and those that
          leave in the winter, and where birds spend their time over the year, is to
          look at the range maps in your bird book.
        • Greg
          Message 4 of 16 , May 29, 2006
            I kow it is late, but we are cleaning the basement. I made some trips
            to the trash, and could not help but notice that there were a great
            many shorebirds peeping overhead. There was a steady stream of birds
            from about 11pm, and they are still flying overhead at 1am.

            Greg
          • Gordon A. Taylor
            Message 5 of 16 , Aug 20, 2006
              The warbler/Vireo migration is certainly in full swing. I am leaving the fountain running over night in our pond. Last week we had visits from Yellow-rumped, Yellow, Black-polled,Orange-crowned, Palm, Tennessee, Blackburnian, Northern Waterthrush and Wilson's Warblers. The two Vireo's were the Philadelphia and the Warbling.

              Today Reta and I drove down to the Last Mountain Lake Wildlife and found the water filled with virtually every species of duck. The Sandhill Cranes were talking from high overhead then spiralling down out of their thermals to greet those already feeding or sleeping. There are probably five hundred there now.

              We spotted one Great Egret hunting at the south end of the drive around the lake section. Pelican and Double Crested Cormorants were both present but in smaller numbers tha in our July visit.

              There were several Swainson's Hawks present along with a couple of Red-tailed Hawks and many Northern Harriers. We spotted one Broad-winged Hawk riding a thermal southward alongside a light phase Red-tailed.

              Barn Swallows and Tree Swallows were still present in good numbers but the Purple Martins were absent.

              Ross Dixon of the CWF was mist-netting and banding in the shelter belts when we arrived and he most courteyesly gave us a tour.He showed us a Mourning Dove's nest with the mother and two young still in the nest.

              Good birding to all

            • Val
              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 14, 2007
                We've had a gathering of a dozen Yellow-shafted Northern Flickers at
                the farm this past week along with 20 or so American Robins. A
                Yellow-rumped Warbler is still drinking from the oriole feeder and
                the Downy Woodpecker is as well. The warbler is quite tame when
                we're watching it. White-crowned Sparrows have now appeared. We
                still have lots of Mourning Doves but they'll be surprised at their
                bird-bath drink this morning...need a chissel on the ice. We've seen
                Palm Warblers and others that we can't ID.

                We've been up and gone by 7:00 a.m. to daily babysit in Regina a few
                days this week so garden chores were done around 5:30 a.m. three
                days ago. The Rock Pigeons were out and about at that early time.
                You did wait for a chilly garden gathering Guy!! :-)

                The Swainson's Hawk data from Jared was really interesting as Elma
                McCormick phoned the other day that she saw a Swainson's Hawk on the
                street along Railway Avenue in Weyburn. A guy was approaching it so
                she stopped to see what was going on. Then another van stopped. When
                the guy got quite close the hawk flew up onto the van roof.
                Meanwhile the conservation officer had been phoned and came along
                and took the Swainson's. At this time I'd like to thank Jared for
                making our summer so especially interesting with his e-mails and
                Sanders updates and all the belly laughs. Just like when Jim reports
                on your experiences together, total fun. We appreciated you from the
                first time you enthusiastically came to our place. I remember Bob
                gave us a good report on you. You have so many dedicated friends and
                we know you have a lot of background support from those who work or
                bird with you..we enjoyed your co-announcing on birdline!! There are
                many special people on this birding forum who modestly go about
                doing their thing. We are thankful for the younger people who are so
                involved to carry on. We really enjoy taking part or hearing about
                what goes on from all of you. We look forward to the postings of all
                the great photos and stories of outings and backyard sightings from
                everyone. We enjoy all the friendships garnished through bird
                watching. Just felt a little blubbery this morning.

                So, we still have a Rough-legged Hawk in the area but yesterday
                was 'cool' with four Swainson's Hawks sitting on the fence posts
                that surround the open-pit nuisance ground just down the road from
                our place. A Merlin hangs around the yard. Our Bohemian Waxwing
                really jumps in alarm about his cage at times and we're thinking
                it's because a hawk or the merlin has gone by. By the way, he has
                now become a connoisseur of almost every type of food....whatever is
                on our plate he'll run over, take a piece off and devour it but
                blueberries, bananas and orange slices are his mainstay.

                Enough....heading in to work.

                Val T - McTaggart