Craven CBC Results

  • trevor.herriot@sasktel.sk.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2001
      New Year Greetings, saskbirders:

      Just a short report of highlights on the Craven Christmas Bird Count, which we
      managed to hold on Dec 23rd, a week later than usual (we had to postpone the
      count for the first time in its history because most roads were impassible on
      the 16th).

      Total of 24 species, but five of those were not seen on count day: snowy owl,
      brown creeper, American robin, American goldfinch, and house finch. A northern
      shrike and a golden eagle were two other good sightings on the count.

      An additional note of interest: on December 30th I received a call from a bed
      and breakfast near Regina Beach, just outside the count circle, where a dog had
      "retrieved" a SAWHET OWL. The owl appeared to be healthy but perhaps had hidden
      injuries or was starving. I was told that they had handed it on to someone to be
      examined so I do not know the outcome of the story.

      I'd love to hear reports from other Christmas Bird Counts--I will be talking
      about the counts on the radio some time next week so any info at all would help.

      Trevor Herriot

      Trevor Herriot