Chipping Sparrow feeding Kingbirds... Was: A squirrel story

  • Mary Ann
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 31, 2004
      I can't believe I found it so quickly... here it is! Turn on your
      sound and ENJOY!!!

      http://www.exn.ca/video/?video=exn20010606-kingbirds.asx

      - Mary Ann
      http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net/

      --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Mary Ann" <dudra.m@s...> wrote:
      > I will try to find the link I had. If I do find it, I will check
      it
      > out to see if it is still an active link.
      >
      > It was about a little Chipping Sparrow going to the nest of an
      > Eastern Kingbird and feeding the young whenever the Kingbirds left
      > the nest to go in search of food. The little Kingbirds were being
      > very well fed... with the worms Chipper would bring them, plus the
      > bugs the parents brought in.
      >
      > You are also right, Pete... it was John and Janet Foster doing the
      > video, etc.
      >
      > Wish me luck,
      >
      > - Mary Ann
      > http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net/
      >
      > -- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "el_supremo01" <el_supremo01@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hi Val,
      > >
      > > > Their Chipping Sparrows have a young one. She's not convinced
      > > > the young one being fed is a Chipping Sparrow though (it's not a
      > > > Cowbird for sure) but it looks more like a House Finch baby.
      Could
      > > > this be?
      > >
      > > A couple of years ago there was a video clip on the Discovery
      > Channel
      > > website about a Chipping Sparrow that was feeding the young of
      > > another species in their nest. I forget what the other species
      was
      > > but the adults of that species were also still feeding their own
      > > chicks and the CHSP would nip in to feed the chicks whenever
      their
      > > parents weren't around.
      > > I think it was Mary Ann who sent me the link to that video but I
      > seem
      > > to have lost it. Maybe it's not on the site anyway. IIRC the
      video
      > > was by John and Janet Foster.
      > >
      > > Best Wishes
      > > Pete
    • Donna Cork
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 1, 2004
        Thanks Mary Ann that was fun to watch. Donna
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 1, 2004
          Donna's right, that was a fun thing to watch Mary Ann. Those little
          Chipping Sparrows seem to feed everyone. I'm thinking if Audrey
          doesn't believe the young one is a Chipping Sparrows that the adult
          Chipping Sparrow is feeding in her yard, it probably isn't. She says
          it seems larger than the Chipping Sparrow already and the bill doesn't
          look right.

          Val

        • Mary Ann
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 2, 2004
            I am glad you guys enjoyed the little video... (and thank you Pete,
            for reminding me about it!) I know I really enjoyed it the first
            time I saw it on the Discovery Channel, and was thrilled when I found
            the same video stored on the internet!! I think I watched it 3 times
            right after I first discovered it on the 'net, and have been through
            it again a couple times the past day or so for old times sake!! It
            still brings a smile to my lips and puts a song in my heart when I
            see little Chipper helping out!!!

            Happy birding,

            - Mary Ann, Swift Current
            http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net/