Saskatchewan Winter List

  • Harv Lane
    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 7, 2001
      Howdy,

      We had a great addition to our list today ... Rose-breasted Grosbeak.  Supposed to be great weather tomorrow so I expect we'll have loads of stuff to add ... right?

      Cheers,
      Harv

      Here's the list.
      1. Tundra Swan
      2. Snow Goose
      3. Canada Goose
      4. Mallard
      5. Redhead
      6. Lesser Scaup
      7. Common Goldeneye
      8. Bufflehead
      9. Common Merganser
      10. Bald Eagle
      11. Rough-legged Hawk
      12. Golden Eagle
      13. Merlin
      14. Sharp-tailed Grouse
      15. Gray Partridge
      16. Herring Gull
      17. Rock Dove
      18. Great Horned Owl
      19. Snowy Owl
      20. Red-bellied Woodpecker
      21. Downy Woodpecker
      22. Hairy Woodpecker
      23. Northern Flicker
      24. Horned Lark
      25. Bohemian Waxwing
      26. Cedar Waxwing
      27. Townsend's Solitaire
      28. Varied Thrush
      29. Black-capped Chickadee
      30. Red-breasted Nuthatch
      31. Blue Jay
      32. Black-billed Magpie
      33. American Crow
      34. Common Raven
      35. European Starling
      36. Festive Parrot
      37. Harris' Sparrow
      38. Dark-eyed Junco
      39. Snow Bunting
      40. Rose-breasted Grosbeak
      41. Common Grackle
      42. Pine Grosbeak
      43. House Finch
      44. White-winged Crossbill
      45. Common Redpoll
      46. House Sparrow
    • Brenda Schmidt
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 7, 2001
        Hi,

        You can add if you like:
        Great Gray Owl (Dec 2, Hanson Lake Road)
        Willow Ptarmigan (Dec 2, Hanson Lake Road)
        Gray Jay (every day in our yard)

        Cheers,
        Harvey & Brenda Schmidt
        Creighton
      • tsb2001
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 7, 2001
          Harv
          Add Eurasian Collared-Doves to the list. They were reported again today at Mortlach.

          Bob Luterbach
          Regina
        • tsb2001
          Message 4 of 11 , Dec 7, 2001
            Harvey & Brenda

            Great Sightings!

            Watch for Rock Ptarmigan among the Willows.

            Take care
            Bob Luterbach
            Regina
          • Harv Lane
            Message 5 of 11 , Dec 8, 2001
              Howdy folks,

              Apparently Liis Veelma is challenging the sighting of the Festive Parrot on our Saskatchewan list.  It's been there for a few days and I was wondering who would be the first to ask about it!  But ... to quote a Manitoba friend of mine, George Holland ... "birds have wings" so who's to say that a Festive Parrot didn't get caught in a very vicious storm in South America and get blown all the way to Saskatchewan?  But if you people think it unlikely, I'll take it off the list!!!  But I'll be checking your list because I recall a winter bird count list a few years ago when a certain birder from Pinawa added Lineated Foliage-gleaner to his Christmas count list ... eh, Peter!

              Great stuff from Harvey and Brenda Schmidt, today.  Willow Ptarmigan was not a bird I expected to get.  I did pick some up along the road to Flin Flon about 16 years ago but it was a long tough weekend before they made an appearance.

              Here is our current list.

              1. Tundra Swan
              2. Snow Goose
              3. Canada Goose
              4. Mallard
              5. Redhead
              6. Lesser Scaup
              7. Common Goldeneye
              8. Bufflehead
              9. Common Merganser
              10. Bald Eagle
              11. Rough-legged Hawk
              12. Golden Eagle
              13. Merlin
              14. Willow Ptarmigan
              15. Sharp-tailed Grouse
              16. Gray Partridge
              17. Herring Gull
              18. Rock Dove
              19. Eurasian Collared-Dove
              20. Great Horned Owl
              21. Snowy Owl
              22. Great Gray Owl
              23. Red-bellied Woodpecker
              24. Downy Woodpecker
              25. Hairy Woodpecker
              26. Northern Flicker
              27. Horned Lark
              28. Bohemian Waxwing
              29. Cedar Waxwing
              30. Townsend's Solitaire
              31. Varied Thrush
              32. Black-capped Chickadee
              33. Red-breasted Nuthatch
              34. Gray Jay
              35. Blue Jay
              36. Black-billed Magpie
              37. American Crow
              38. Common Raven
              39. European Starling
              40. Harris' Sparrow
              41. Dark-eyed Junco
              42. Snow Bunting
              43. Rose-breasted Grosbeak
              44. Common Grackle
              45. Pine Grosbeak
              46. House Finch
              47. White-winged Crossbill
              48. Common Redpoll
              49. House Sparrow
              Let's push it into the 50's today!

              Cheers,
              Harv
            • tsb2001
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 8, 2001
                Harv
                Add White-breasted Nuthatch to our list. Barb Binnie reports  several at her Lumsden feeder.
                Take care
                Bob