Partial report of Centre Block CBC

  • Al Hartley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2004
      Best birding of the day was during the drive to the park. Along hwy #
      21 between 9:45 & 10:30 saw 6 Common Ravens, 1 Rough-legged Hawk, 1
      Golden Eagle, approx. 30 Sharp-tailed Grouse. During the count we
      visited feeders in the cottage subdivision and at the Resort Inn. Saw
      upwards of 50 Black-capped Chickadee, 6 Red-breasted Nuthatch, 8 Hairy
      Woodpecker, 6 Downy Woodpecker. These numbers are unofficial and my
      best guess - I wasn't keeping the tally. The people who had the feeders
      said the variety of birds seemed to be down this year; e.g., no Red
      Crossbills. During lunch a Common Raven flew over Loch Leven. After
      lunch participants were going to strap on snowshoes and attempt one of
      the hiking trails. I bailed out.

      Peace,

      Al Hartley
      Maple Creek