Here are the news from Maple Creek

  • Al Hartley
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2004
      Left the house at sunrise this morning. First bird - Northern
      Flicker on my suet cage. On my way south on #271; Black-billed Magpie
      and Sharp-tailed Grouse. Near the entrance to the West Block, Cypress
      Hills Prov. Pk.; Northern Shrike and Bald Eagle. Just inside the park
      boundary; 5 Red Crossbills. Later on Spengler (Spangler?) Flats down
      near the Medicine Line; 12 Gray Partridge.
      On the way home on #615 near Little West District; a Short-eared
      Owl. This proved to be the most interesting bird of the day. It was
      perched on a fence post beside the road and although eventually I parked
      directly opposite and approximately 30 meters from it, it did not fly
      away. Close observation with my scope revealed that it had only one eye
      - the left was damaged or deformed and certainly seemed non-functional.
      In spite of this handicap, it appeared full grown and in good shape.

      Peace

      Al Hartley
      Maple Creek