First birds of 2004

  • Harv & Barb Lane
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
      Howdy,

      It took some work, not too much, but I managed to avoid accidentally identifying any other birds this morning until I'd gone out to the nearby Bald Eagle roost and counted 10 of them. It was still too dark to identify them from the road at 7:30 so I had to walk across a field to get a better look at the silhouettes. When I was still a quarter mile away an eagle came flying around from the other side of the bush and I got a nice view of the white head and tail. What a nice way to start 2004! Anybody else ever start the year with 10 Bald Eagles in Manitoba or Saskatchewan?

      Cheers,
      Harv

    • Kenneth Noble
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
        Certainly beats my collared dove, Harv!
        Happy New Year to all Saskbirders.
        In case it's of interest, this is my New Year's Day list (so far, but it's going dark), all within a mile or two of home.

        1.. Great crested grebe
        2.. Cormorant
        3.. Grey heron
        4.. Mute swan
        5.. Canada goose
        6.. Mallard
        7.. Sparrowhawk
        8.. Kestrel
        9.. Moorhen
        10.. Coot
        11.. Black-headed gull
        12.. Common gull
        13.. Herring gull
        14.. Stock dove
        15.. Woodpigeon
        16.. Collared Dove
        17.. Kingfisher
        18.. Great spotted woodpecker
        19.. Meadow pipit
        20.. Grey wagtail
        21.. Pied wagtail
        22.. Wren
        23.. Dunnock
        24.. Robin
        25.. Blackbird
        26.. Fieldfare
        27.. Song thrush
        28.. Marsh tit
        29.. Coal tit
        30.. Blue tit
        31.. Great tit
        32.. Nuthatch
        33.. Jay
        34.. Magpie
        35.. Jackdaw
        36.. Carrion crow
        37.. Starling
        38.. House sparrow
        39.. Chaffinch
        40.. Greenfinch
        41.. Goldfinch
        42.. Reed bunting
        Ken

        Kenneth Noble, Lingfield, Surrey, UK

        http://www.noble1.plus.com/

        It took some work, not too much, but I managed to avoid accidentally identifying any other birds this morning until I'd gone out to the nearby Bald Eagle roost and counted 10 of them. It was still too dark to identify them from the road at 7:30 so I had to walk across a field to get a better look at the silhouettes. When I was still a quarter mile away an eagle came flying around from the other side of the bush and I got a nice view of the white head and tail. What a nice way to start 2004! Anybody else ever start the year with 10 Bald Eagles in Manitoba or Saskatchewan?

        Cheers,
        Harv

        -- This email has been verified as Virus free Virus Protection and more available at http://www.plus.net

      • Mary Ann
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
          Impressive first bird of the year, Harv... and even better to have 10
          of them!!!

          My first bird of 2004.... a Mountain Ash tree full of 30 - 40
          Bohemian Waxwings!!! (My first bird of 2003 was a beautiful male
          House Finch, sporting his bright red suit, followed up shortly by his
          lovely Mrs. House Finch!!) My last bird I saw in 2003 were 100's of
          Rock Pigeons flying in the downtown area of Swift Current (my last
          bird of 2002 were the flocks of pigeons, too... and around the same
          time of day in the same area, and no doubt the same flocks!!!)

          So far (at 9:30 AM), in addition to the Bohs (there are a couple
          large flocks of 40'ish per flock flying around right now, landing and
          flying up from our tree and the neighbours' trees), I've also been
          watching at least 5 House Finches (3 males, 2 females) & RB
          Nuthatches (at least 2 of the 4 we've been gettting) at the feeders,
          along with a handful of House Sparrows.

          I wish everyone a very happy, healthy, and safe 2004!! HAPPY NEW
          YEAR, and HAPPY BIRDING!!!!

          - Mary Ann, Swift Current
          http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/dudrl/

          --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Harv & Barb Lane" <hdlane@r...>
          wrote:
          > Howdy,
          >
          > It took some work, not too much, but I managed to avoid
          accidentally identifying any other birds this morning until I'd gone
          out to the nearby Bald Eagle roost and counted 10 of them. It was
          still too dark to identify them from the road at 7:30 so I had to
          walk across a field to get a better look at the silhouettes. When I
          was still a quarter mile away an eagle came flying around from the
          other side of the bush and I got a nice view of the white head and
          tail. What a nice way to start 2004! Anybody else ever start the
          year with 10 Bald Eagles in Manitoba or Saskatchewan?

          > Cheers,
          > Harv

        • Jim Nordquist

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
              Wonderful first-bird sightings Harv!

              Our last birds were seen from mom's room in the Regina General
              Hospital as dusk came along, Rock Pigeons flying on and off the
              hospital roof. The first bird we saw this morning was a Hairy
              Woodpecker on the poplar tree and first mammals, three fox squirrels.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
                Hi Jim,

                As the owner and originator of Saskbirds I (mistakenly) assume everybody knows that I used to live in Saskatoon but have now moved a half hour southeast of Winnipeg.

                Happy New Year,
                Harv
                It took some work, not too much, but I managed to avoid accidentally
                identifying any other birds this morning until I'd gone out to the nearby
                Bald Eagle roost and counted 10 of them. It was still too dark to identify
                them from the road at 7:30 so I had to walk across a field to get a better
                look at the silhouettes. When I was still a quarter mile away an eagle
                came flying around from the other side of the bush and I got a nice view of
                the white head and tail. What a nice way to start 2004! Anybody else ever
                start the year with 10 Bald Eagles in Manitoba or Saskatchewan?

                Cheers,
                Harv

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Jim Nordquist
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004
                  you have new people joining your wonderfully informative,enjoyable,amazing
                  and amusing BBS all the time. your note this a.m. prompted me (and several
                  others apparently) to keep better track of birds seen. my new year's
                  resolution is to keep a year list. the funniest part is that,this is the
                  first resolution i have ever made. thanks.ps my first was a black capped
                  chickadee, a personal favourite

                  It took some work, not too much, but I managed to avoid accidentally
                  identifying any other birds this morning until I'd gone out to the
                  nearby
                  Bald Eagle roost and counted 10 of them. It was still too dark to
                  identify
                  them from the road at 7:30 so I had to walk across a field to get a
                  better
                  look at the silhouettes. When I was still a quarter mile away an eagle
                  came flying around from the other side of the bush and I got a nice view
                  of
                  the white head and tail. What a nice way to start 2004! Anybody else
                  ever
                  start the year with 10 Bald Eagles in Manitoba or Saskatchewan?

                  Cheers,
                  Harv

                  Service.

                  Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                  Service.

                • M A
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 2, 2004
                    Our House Finch numbers grew to at least 12 by noon yesterday, and 3
                    Common Redpolls showed up to spend the better part of the day at the
                    feeders as well. Species-wise, we only had 5, but they were there all
                    day, and in varying numbers -- especially the Bohemian Waxwings
                    (anywhere from 40 - 80+ all day!), as they were back and forth between
                    our Mountain Ash tree, and two of the neighbours' trees!! It was a
                    "Boh-t-ful" day:-) Our yard was flock-ful!! The House Sparrows
                    retreated to the backyard for the better part of the day, feeling very
                    overwhelmed with the House Finches (they can be nasty!), and the Bohs!!
                    We even had one House Finch eating suet pieces from the trays... The
                    Kingpin Nutty wasn't too thrilled about that!!

                    Ryan wouldn't look out the living room window yesterday morning until a
                    Finch or Nuthatch showed up... before they had a chance to, a Common
                    Redpoll landed at the upside-down niger feeder, did a flip and started
                    to chow down! Ryan was thrilled with his first bird of 2004!

                    It is cold & miserable here... that wind is nasty, and the snow is
                    blowing around!! (We're at -19ºC right now, and a windchill of
                    -30ºC!!! The Nuthatches should go through lots of suet today!)

                    The Annual Swift Current Christmas Bird Count is on for tomorrow - going
                    to be a "need to dress up and keep warm" kind of day from the sounds of
                    the forecast! Hope it doesn't keep the birds hidden and not counted!!!
                    We're hoping to get a glimpse of the Northern Saw-whet Owl that has been
                    spotted at the Research Station. Here's hoping!! (We have the Research
                    Station, a graveyard by the #4 Hwy & #1 Hwy junction, and the Ponderosa
                    Trailer Court... plus count the downtown Rock Pigeons!) If it is too
                    cold tomorrow, Larry & Ryan will be out there by themselves! I'm pretty
                    wussy when it comes to anything colder than -2ºC!

                    May the flocks be with you.... Happy Birding!

                    - Mary Ann, Larry, Michelle, & Ryan - Swift Current