Rain

  • Martin Bailey
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 7, 2003
      It rained yesterday morning from just before 7 in the morning until 9 am. A
      solid crust of ice has been left behind. It is now going to become very
      difficult for the upland gamebirds in this area (grey partridge,
      sharp-tailed grouse and pheasant) to make through the winter. From boom to
      bust in less than two hours.

      Martin,
      Weyburn.
    • Jim Nordquist
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 7, 2003
        it might thaw,they were calling for it to hit zero in regina,today
        It rained yesterday morning from just before 7 in the morning until 9 am.
        solid crust of ice has been left behind. It is now going to become very
        difficult for the upland gamebirds in this area (grey partridge,
        sharp-tailed grouse and pheasant) to make through the winter. From boom
        bust in less than two hours.

        Martin,
        Weyburn.

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Martin Bailey
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 7, 2003
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 7, 2003
            The birds that I saw were feeding on buds, fruit and sunflower seeds above the light snow covering with its icy surface. No doubt that the ice will seal off some access to food sources:however, perhaps the greatest danger occurs when the birds are trapped below the surface at night if they have plunged into the snow.

            I guess we will have to see what the long term impact will be. We probably have already hit the peak in the cycle though and a sharp decline would be natural and inevitable.

            I wonder though if the crop selection such as corn and sunflowers have been important as shelter and food sources. I notice several corn fields planted as winter forage for cattle in the area north of Regina. And sunflower fields in spite of being harvested still have plentiful heads left on the surface and standing.

            And of course the buds and chokecherries are available plus the gravel roads have grit.

            Good Birding

            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 7, 2003
              My brother reports unusually large numbers of Sharps and partridge in
              the hills north of Luck Lake as well. No corn or sunflower there. Do
              they like lentils?

              I'm sorting through a huge backlog of email. I just got home from a two
              week stay in Lumsden. Apparently a Brown Creeper was hanging around St.
              Michael's while I was there, but I never did see it. Darn.

              Harvey counted 40+ redpolls in our yard this morning, the biggest flock
              yet this year. Majority were Common, but there were four Hoary in the bunch.

              Brenda
              Creighton
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 7, 2003
                Brenda
                I would think that lentils or field peas would also be a great food for these species.

                I didn't intend to minimize the potential impact of the freezing rain particularly in the extreme south where greater snow cover is more of an issue. However, the snow does tend naturally to get crusty and hard from the consequence of the mixing caused during drifting. Banks become very hard without a layer of rain. Other areas though are no doubt more accessible without rain or a cycle alternate intervals of freezing and melting.

                There is little doubt that Gray Partridge and Ring-necked Pheasants as more typical ground feeders will perhaps be impacted more by ice than Sharp-tails.

                I am also concerned with the impact of this latest layer of ice upon the deer as well. I suspect that their legs will be cut by the sharp surfaces of the icy layer as they run in the fields. Mercifully the hunting season is over.

                Good Birding
                Bob L.

                Message 7 of 14 , May 25, 2008
                  Yes, as Kathy stated, a welcome rain. We've almost received a half
                  inch which is our first rain in weeks and weeks.....three inches would
                  be great but not next weekend! The spring meet sold out and we're
                  looking forward to seeing everyone from around the province. We're
                  hoping to get up to see some of the warbler population in Regina this
                  week! We had a Catbird in the yard this morning. Great reports
                  everyone.

                  Val T - McTaggart
                • Val
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 3, 2008
                    It was forecast for rain here and actually is raining at 4:00 a.m.
                    That's the first time it has been right on the nose for our area all
                    spring. We've had 1/2" (12mm) at our McTaggart farm rain guage since
                    winter snow in February. We know other provincial areas are dry also
                    and hope they get some moisture relief. We have some nice window
                    sightings of larger birds lately with the Northern Harrier, Great-
                    horned Owl and Swainson's Hawk all being seen flying around the yard.

                    Val T
                  • Mary Ann
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 3, 2008
                      Hopefully we get some good rain right across southern Saskatchewan...
                      we left Calgary yesterday morning (7:30 AM) and it was raining. By the
                      time we got to Brooks it was pouring and it pretty much continued all
                      the way home until we got to Beverley (a few short miles just west of
                      Swift Current). Here in Speedy Creek it was a slight sprinkle. Within
                      an hour we did start getting a nice rain that lasted at least a couple
                      hours (according to Enviro Canada, we got about 1.4 mm out of that!)
                      You could see the neighbourhood trees recovering and welcoming the rain
                      as it fell.

                      We didn't have much for snow this past winter at all so the water fowl
                      and shorebirds are very sparse around here without any sloughs, and
                      even some dugouts are starting to dry up.

                      Reed Lake is in a very sad state - and that makes me wonder where all
                      the shorebirds, etc. that normally frequent this shorebird oasis will
                      end up going this year?

                      As bad as we need rain here, the Val Marie/Frontier area really needs
                      it very bad. They're desperate now (and I hear the Mankota area is in
                      the same state of desperation).

                      - Mary Ann and Larry, Swift Current
                      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W
                      http://dudrl.sasktelwebsite.net

                      --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Val" <val_doyle_thomas@...> wrote:

                      > It was forecast for rain here and actually is raining at 4:00 a.m.
                      > That's the first time it has been right on the nose for our area all
                      > spring. We've had 1/2" (12mm) at our McTaggart farm rain guage since
                      > winter snow in February. We know other provincial areas are dry also
                      > and hope they get some moisture relief. We have some nice window
                      > sightings of larger birds lately with the Northern Harrier, Great-
                      > horned Owl and Swainson's Hawk all being seen flying around the yard.
                      >
                      > Val T
                    • Val T
                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 17, 2011
                        Overnight we received 11 cm of rain (over 3") and the thunderstorm still continues with heavy rain. Water is standing up everywhere again. It's surprising the high-ground garden rototilled in our lawn is even under water! The American Robins are having no trouble finding worms. There will not be one kernel of grain seeded on our six quarters this year (I know, this is a 'drop in the bucket' to what others farm. Guess we'll enjoy the ducks instead as they swim on our front lawns every day.

                        A pair of American Robins has successfully raised two young ones and we watched them being fed this morning. We had three pairs of robins in the yard this year. One nest wasn't so successful as one night during a thunderstorm there was the equivalent of a sonic boom around 2:00 a.m. It shook the house. The next morning Doyle noticed the four young robins that had been in the nest by the old shop were gone and we think the noise frightened them out. They had feathers but were likely a little too young to be leaving the nest. Lots of species around to view, despite the rain.

                        Time to coax the dogs out so they can come back inside to stay while I go to work this morning.

                        Val T - McTaggart
                      • Val T
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 18, 2011
                          We dumped 5" of rain water out of the guage last night after our flash-flooding day. Anyway, it's cute to drive out of the yard on a long lane submerged in water. We have Blue-winged Teals swimming in front of us and alongside the vehicle are Northern Shovelers, American Wigeon, Scaup and a pair of Mallards. There is water over the highway in four spots between McTaggart and Weyburn and total fields are now lakes so we had to detour six miles around to get into Weyburn. Highway #39 through Weyburn is closed - totally submerged at the bridge. The restaurant where we meet our friends every Saturday morning is surrounded by water and four others closed because of flooding. The ducks most prevalent around our area this year are Blue-winged Teal and Northern Shovelers. I've never seen so many flashes of blue on wings flying past as we drive along.

                          Doyle says there are five eggs in the House Wren nest behind the barn. This house has a front that swings open which enables us to look in once in a while.

                          Oh joy, it's thundering again. I tried to count up the different species nesting in our yard and came to a total of 24 that we know of. The Warbling Vireo just appeared this past week. Some of our nesters are due to the excess water. Three out of four Purple Martin houses are occupied with several famiies. It's a bit concerning though with the houses out front as the lawns are still submerged in water. If the young martins hatch and eventually drop to the ground in this situation they will drown.

                          Hope many of you that e-mailed got to see the Eared Grebe colony. We noticed yesterday that because of the rising waters and high winds that the nests are not doing well. Will they rebuild? The grebes are still there swimming around.

                          Val T - McTaggart
                        • nikovich71
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 18, 2011
                            What rain ??

                            I'm joking of course :-) We got hit pretty hard here too in Saskatoon.
                            I have filled up 3 rain barrels as of last night, so the flowers and shrubs will be happy next week!

                            We have a House Wren nesting in one of our boxes since I think last week, although the Wrens themselves arrived quite some time ago.

                            Cheers,

                            Nick

                            S'toon
                          • nikovich71
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 18, 2011
                              What rain ??

                            • tsb2001@sasktel.net
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 18, 2011
                                Val
                                Eared Grebe colonies are devastated regularly at Wascana Marsh. At this location this species typically delays breeding into June perhaps waiting for the proper prey base to develop as the levels of water turbidity subsides and the water temperature increases. These require areas of shallower water which permits their very vulnerable floating nests placed in the open to remain stationary and viable. For those with less experience with this species, Eared Grebes nest on a floating heap of vegetation which is dredged from waters often underneath or very near the colony.

                                High winds often combine with the dramatic changes in water levels associated with the surge of City storm sewer runoff during downpours. This quickly increases water levels making the barely floating nests unstable. The arrival of storm associated runoff from a vast Wascana Flood Plain also creates less dramatic yet significant changes in water depths. If the Wascana Marsh produces successful hatches they are generally fewer. I suspect it is a breeding sink during many years.

                                The birds in the colony you observed are gambling that the summer rains will sustain this shallow wetland later to remain viable to sustain the colony for a successful groups fledging. They are vulnerable to changing water levels and strong winds prior to hatching as everywhere. My guess is that they will probably attempt to re nest several times.

                                We are experiencing the power of weather and climate upon our agenda. As the temperatures climb I expect more thunderstorms with the higher regional levels of humidity. Who would predict possible rice farming in Saskatchewan?

                                The abundant Spring 2011 snow melt and subsequent drainage across cultivated fields created much soil erosion causing I think among the highest levels of water turbidity I have observed not only within the Wascana Creek system but perhaps throughout the entire Qu'Appelle Valley and associated Lakes. I wonder about the impact of this here and downstream upon the fish stocks and other wildlife?

                                Enjoy your birding