Fort Qu'appelle trip

  • dtsawatzky
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2003
      Hi

      Took a drive around the Fort Qu'appelle area Sat morning. The weather
      was wonderful and the very few ice fishermen were doing well as I
      could see the fish flopping on the ice by the holes. Nobody was
      driving their trucks onto the ice yet though. Stopped at Echo Valley
      Prov Park then went east along the north side of Echo and Mission
      Lakes to Lebret.

      In and around the valley I saw 14 Ravins with a group of 6 playing on
      the wind along the steep hills at Lebret. This is by far the largest
      number of this species I have seen in the south of the province. Also
      I saw 14 Black-billed Magpies on the trip.

      At Echo Valley Prov Park I saw
      Pine Grosbeak 10
      Boheimian Waxwing 15
      Dark-eyed Junco 1
      Black-capped Chickadee 2

      At the open water between Echo and Pasqua Lakes there were
      Mallard 150
      Canada Goose 100
      Common Goldeneye 14
      Bufflehead 1 male
      Bald Eagle 2 adults

      At the open water at F.Q. there was
      Northern Shrike 1
      Common Goldeneye 11

      At the open water at the Lebret bridge there were 6 Common Goldeneye.
      An enjoyable day of birding.

      At home I was entertained by a group of wacky Flickers. I saw
      a "normal" yellow-shafted male with black malar and red nape
      crescent. Then I saw a yellow-shafted female with the red nape
      crescent. So I thought great there are two flickers around the
      neighborhood. Later in the day a red-shafted flicker came to the suet
      feeder and I thought wow what a good day for flickers. Then I took a
      closer look and although the bird was red-shafted it had the red
      crescent and black malars of the yellow-shafted. Cool, yellow-
      shafted/red-shafted intergrade. Then it got even better, with a
      female without the red crescent of the yellow-shafted but having
      yellow-shafting. Even the kids were entertained as I tried to explain
      the love life of a flicker. It kind of makes me wonder exactly how
      many individuals of a species we actually have visiting our feeders.
      More than we know I'm sure.

      Dan