Lakewood Park

  • el_supremo01
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2003
      I went to the park at about 2pm this afternoon. The inlet pond, which
      was almost totally ice free yesterday, is now completely frozen over.
      The northern section of the outlet pond that was still open yesterday
      has now shrunk to a small patch of open water about 10x20 feet. The
      Ruddy Duckling is still there as are four Mallards, two of them
      males. One of the females was resting on the ice near the open patch
      of water and I could see that it was the injured one that I had seen
      on the inlet pond yesterday. I could now see the extent of its
      injury. It doesn't have a left "foot" at all and what remains of its
      leg seems to be twisted outward. I presume that it can fly though,
      because I doubt that it could have crawled between the inlet and
      outlet ponds.
      The only other inhabitants were four Rock Pigeons on the south west
      shore of the outlet pond. A lone Canada Goose flew over north of the
      park.

      Best Wishes
      Pete
      Saskatoon
    • el_supremo01
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 2, 2003
        I checked out the park this afternoon and the open patch on the
        outlet pond has shrunk to only about a foot across. There was no sign
        of the Mallards or Ruddy Duckling that were there yesterday so this
        will probably be my last report about the park until spring arrives.

        Best Wishes
        Pete
      • el_supremo01
        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 5, 2006
          My wife and I went for a walk in the park this evening and I spotted a
          Great Blue Heron as we approached the inlet pond from the car park. It
          was just standing in the northeast corner of the inlet pond. Later we
          saw another one which was quite a bit smaller and I presume it was a
          youngster.
          I also got a "lifer" of sorts. I saw an American Bittern on the
          northwest side of the outlet pond. It's the first one I've seen in the
          park and only the second one I've ever seen.

          Best Wishes
          Pete