Brown Creepers galore!

  • M A
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 6 7:04 PM
      This morning, I was was out in the Riverdene area of Swift Current
      looking for the Varied Thrush, but nadda... I still hit a feathered
      jackpot though, especially with Brown Creepers the first 10 minutes I
      was out there! I first saw a couple, then more flew onto the two trees
      in front of me -- and within a couple minutes I had at least 12+ Brown
      Creepers crawling the trunk and offshooting trunks of a pair of old
      trees!!! I also saw at least 3 Ruby-Crowned Kinglets, 5 Orange-Crowned
      Warblers, 7+ RB Nuthatches (I heard more than I saw!), 4 Song Sparrows,
      4 White-Crowned Sparrows, 10+ Harris Sparrows, 10+ Dark-Eyed Juncos, 10+
      House Finches (male & female), 15+ Purple Finches(male & female), 2
      American Goldfinches (and I heard more), 15+ American Robins (no Varied
      Thrush amongst them!), 5 Common Grackles, 2 Mallards, 3 Northern
      Shovellers, a few House Sparrows, 3 Mule Deer, 1 Felis Domesticus (at
      large), & 5 Canis familiaris (on leashes). I also heard Cedar Waxwings
      but didn't see any. It was certainly worth the 2 hours I spent out
      there this morning... I was surprised that I didn't see nor hear any
      woodpeckers in that area!

      We went back to the same area after supper just before dusk, but other
      than a few Robins, Dark-Eyed Juncos, Song Sparrows, White-crowned
      Sparrows, 3 Northern Shovellers, & 2 Gadwalls, (and the same 3 deer -
      Mamma & twins, AND the same cat I saw this morning being chased by Mamma
      Deer!), we didn't seen anything else.

      Our yard was full of the Robins, House Finches, Harris Sparrows, a
      couple White-throated Sparrows, a couple Dark-Eyed Juncos, 3 Mourning
      Doves, and too many House Sparrows all day long!! This morning, I
      could hear a couple RB Nuthatches across the street, and I finally saw
      one of them mid-afternoon in a tree behind our yard.

      I heard RB Nuthatches by one of the funeral homes across from the
      Community College this morning when I was dropping Michelle off for her
      first day of classes. That was a welcome sound:0) While waiting to
      pick Ryan up after school today, I saw several Ring-billed Gulls hanging
      around the high school parking lot, as well as more Robins!!!

      That's my/our day in a nutshell... Gotta go back to work tomorrow, so no
      morning birding stroll for me tomorrow morning!

      Happy birding,

      - Mary Ann, Larry, & Ryan - Swift Current
      http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/dudrl/