Re: [Saskbirds] Yard lists

  • tsb2001
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 4, 2001
      Sandy
      I have never attempted a yard list . I have had a few yards in my time
      though!

      Perhaps some of the more interesting birds that I have seen perched or
      nesting in my various yards include: Prairie Falcon, Broad-winged Hawk,
      Northern Goshawk, both eagles, Great Grey Owl,Winter Wren, nesting
      Philadelphia Vireo and Connecticut Warbler, nesting Black-billed Cuckoo,
      both crossbills, Northern 3-toed Woodpecker, and three Pileated Woodpeckers
      at my suet for the winter. There are others.

      Another bird that Trevor didn't mention was an adult male Blue -winged
      Warbler that although technically not in his yard was heard singing in a
      tree out front.

      I always have enjoyed seeing all the residents as well as regular migrant
      visitors plus the rarities.

      Your yard is well situated. I must admit that I am envious. I have also
      enjoyed reading about your coverage of your immediate area plus was
      extremely pleased to see the elusive Golden-crowned Sparrow in the Boreal
      Park area,nearby.

      Observing the parade of birds during migrations and regularly patrolling a
      specific area is very rewarding. I am missing that now as I live in an
      apartment complex. I have been going regularly to Buck Lake.

      Take care
      Bob
    • Sandy Ayer
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 4, 2001
        On Monday I saw a Hermit Thrush in my yard. It was bird no. 108 seen or heard in or from 1278 Campbell St. Regina. The list includes all 3 Mergansers (our house looks out on Wascana Creek), Upland Sandpiper, both crossbills, both shrikes, Mountain and Eastern Bluebirds, Osprey, "large falcon" (likely a Peregrine), Lark Sparrow, and 13 species of warbler, the rarest of which is Mourning.

        Sound impressive? Well, we'll be trying to sell the place in a year and a half or so, and I'd love to sell it to a birder. Seriously, though, I'd be interested in hearing about other Saskbirders' yard lists (and I realize that some Canadian yards have lists of over 200, and I remember also reading that Barry Kent Mackay (of Toronto) once saw over 90 species in or from his yard in a single day)--at least from those of us who don't sneer at keeping lists!

        Bob Luterbach, if you're reading this, I'd be especially interested in hearing what your yard in Tyvan produced by way of sightings.

        Sandy

        H.D. Sandy Ayer (Mr.)
        Director of Library Services
        Canadian Bible College/Canadian Theological Seminary
        4400 4th Ave.
        Regina, Sask., Canada

        S4T 0H8

        306-545-1515
        306-545-0210 fax
      • trevor.herriot@sasktel.sk.ca
        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 4, 2001
          Sandy et al:

          We used to keep a yard list when we had a home in south Lakeview, Regina. I
          think we lived there for five years and the list was at 101 when we left.
          The best birds there were a Townsend's Warbler, and a yard bird I will be
          hard pressed to top no matter how long I live in one place--a Poorwill. I
          found the poorwill sitting on the ground between my garden rows one
          afternoon in May. After flying into the neighbour's yard it was injured by
          a cat. We found it dying the next day and passed it on to a biologist at
          the U of R who was studying poowills at the time.

          Although I don't keep a list for our current yard, the best bird so far has
          been a Scarlet Tanager male in full song a few years back.

          Trevor Herriot