Re: [Saskbirds] Northwest wind

  • trevor.herriot@sasktel.sk.ca
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
      Almost two thousand Swainson's Hawks!! That's terrific! It gladdens the
      heart to hear that there are that many heading south from Saskatchewan in
      the fall. Has anyone ever counted that many Swainsons on a single day
      anywhere in Canada? Have you any idea, Carol and Martin?

      Trevor Herriot
    • cmbb@sk.sympatico.ca
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
        Trevor,

        This is probably the largest count of SWHA in SK.

        According to Palmer the last week in September and the first week in October
        is the peak migration period out of the northern prairies. (Sounds good.
        But probably an example of academic idiocy based on statistical assumption
        that ultimately are without any meaningful conclusion.)

        What I find intriguing is the possibility that the Souris basin has always
        been a migration route out of the Province.

        Martin

        > Almost two thousand Swainson's Hawks!! That's terrific! It gladdens the
        > heart to hear that there are that many heading south from Saskatchewan in
        > the fall. Has anyone ever counted that many Swainsons on a single day
        > anywhere in Canada? Have you any idea, Carol and Martin?
        >
        > Trevor Herriot

      • Ron and Joy Martin
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
          Saskbirders:
          One of the largest flocks of Swainson's ever recorded in ND (300 birds,
          1986) was seen coming out of the southernmost bend of the Souris near
          Sawyer.
          Ron Martin
          Sawyer, ND

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/