Migration in Saskatoon

  • Harv Lane
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29 4:47 PM
      Hi folks,

      I am still not receiving the emails that I send but they seem to be showing up in the archives so I guess they are going out.

      Yesterday I got kicked out of my gymnasium so I took all my Physical Education classes for walks of varying lengths around the neighbourhood.  I saw (without the benefit of binoculars) far more warblers than I have seen all summer.  There were numerous Yellow-rumps and at least as many Palm Warblers.  They seemed to be everywhere.  The birds were out in full force and it was really difficult to continue walking with my classes when I really wanted to run home to get my 'bins' and just walk the alleys around the school.

      Today, Saturday, I had my first White-crowned Sparrows in the yard.  In fact, I had all the regular zonotrichia sparrows in the yard.  Juncos were present in reasonable numbers and warblers were flitting around in the trees.  I did catch a glimpse of one particular warbler .... unstreaked greenish back and bright yellow belly .... that I wasn't able to positively identify.  It disappeared into a tree of bright yellow leaves and never came out again, at least on my side.  It may have been an oporornis warbler but most like a Wilson's Warbler.  It seemed a bit smaller than a Mourning or Connecticut!

      The Snow Geese flock that flew over the yard was about 10 miles up and I'd just abandoned my binoculars in the house so I couldn't tell whether or not there were any Ross' Geese with them but the flock had about 100 birds and they were heading straight south.  I hope this serious migration isn't a sign of weather to come this week!!!

      Cheers,
      Harv