Northwest wind

  • cmbb@sk.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 29, 2001
      Saturday, the 29th

      Between 10:10 and 10:45 this morning we stopped below Nickle Lake
      am -17-7-13W2. On a northwest wind - Beaufort 5 - we counted 1918
      Swainson's Hawks as their kettles boiled in the wind. The front was a
      half mile wide and appeared to be following the Souris River basin. This
      was the first northwest wind in weeks.

      The flow of hawks ended around 10:45, but we are not sure when it began.
      However, it is reasonable to assume that it could not have started much
      earlier because of weather conditions: cold, mostly cloudy and 15 degrees
      Centigrade. It was a tremendously exciting sight and very gratifying for a
      hawk watcher like Carol.

      Martin.

      p.s. Buy the October/November issue of "The Beaver." I have an article in
      it titled "Prairie Serendipity."
    • trevor.herriot@sasktel.sk.ca
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
        Almost two thousand Swainson's Hawks!! That's terrific! It gladdens the
        heart to hear that there are that many heading south from Saskatchewan in
        the fall. Has anyone ever counted that many Swainsons on a single day
        anywhere in Canada? Have you any idea, Carol and Martin?

        Trevor Herriot
      • cmbb@sk.sympatico.ca
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
          Trevor,

          This is probably the largest count of SWHA in SK.

          According to Palmer the last week in September and the first week in October
          is the peak migration period out of the northern prairies. (Sounds good.
          But probably an example of academic idiocy based on statistical assumption
          that ultimately are without any meaningful conclusion.)

          What I find intriguing is the possibility that the Souris basin has always
          been a migration route out of the Province.

          Martin

          > Almost two thousand Swainson's Hawks!! That's terrific! It gladdens the
          > heart to hear that there are that many heading south from Saskatchewan in
          > the fall. Has anyone ever counted that many Swainsons on a single day
          > anywhere in Canada? Have you any idea, Carol and Martin?
          >
          > Trevor Herriot

        • Ron and Joy Martin
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2001
            Saskbirders:
            One of the largest flocks of Swainson's ever recorded in ND (300 birds,
            1986) was seen coming out of the southernmost bend of the Souris near
            Sawyer.
            Ron Martin
            Sawyer, ND

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/