Grey Partridge

  • valndoyle
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 1, 2003
      15 Grey Partridge were at the end of our lane this morning and 1
      Yellow-shafted Woodpecker.

      Val
    • valndoyle
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 8, 2003
        For three days now we have had 22 Grey Partridge hanging around the
        front field and in the yard. Yesterday Doyle said they were under a
        spruce tree on the front lawn and one flew up onto a limb. We have now
        literally had our "partridge in a spruce tree."

        Also a beautiful red fox has been hanging around the yard...wonder
        why!! Today he is lying in the field and sticks out like a sore
        thumb against the snow. Other than that, we haven't much change... the
        American Tree Sparrows, one Harris Sparrow, one Dark-eyed Junco, two
        Downy Woodpeckers, some Fox Squirrels and numerous House Sparrows.

        Val - McTaggart area
      • valndoyle
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 11, 2003
          Our little group of 22 Grey Partridge is now down to 17 but they're
          still sticking together on the south side of the yard, clustered in
          the treed area. One Sharp-tailed Grouse can usually be seen perched on
          a tree limb along the lane. We have daily two Hairy Woodpeckers and
          two Downy Woodpeckers, one Common Redpoll and the rest are House
          Sparrows. Changed the niger seed in hopes something else will come
          along as this stuff was pretty old.

          It's so darned icy that it is not enjoyable to try to get out walking
          at all. Many side roads are icy too which hopefully won't deter the
          CBC next week. Another friend had a wrist casuality on ice on Tuesday.

          Our expected first grandchild yesterday didn't make an appearance;
          we're still anxiously waiting....so much so that I totally forgot to
          attend the Nature Society executive meeting :-).

          Val from McTaggart
        • Jim Nordquist
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 11, 2003
            you can get spikes or chains for your shoes. the only drawback,is you get a
            false sense of security wearing them,so when you take them off you still
            slip. that doesn't make much sense i know , but that is what i have found
            using them for the last two years. i had to wear them once to get home. it
            was so slippery i was standing still and sliding down the slope of the
            sidewalk.
            Our little group of 22 Grey Partridge is now down to 17 but they're
            still sticking together on the south side of the yard, clustered in
            the treed area. One Sharp-tailed Grouse can usually be seen perched on
            a tree limb along the lane. We have daily two Hairy Woodpeckers and
            two Downy Woodpeckers, one Common Redpoll and the rest are House
            Sparrows. Changed the niger seed in hopes something else will come
            along as this stuff was pretty old.

            It's so darned icy that it is not enjoyable to try to get out walking
            at all. Many side roads are icy too which hopefully won't deter the
            CBC next week. Another friend had a wrist casuality on ice on Tuesday.

            Our expected first grandchild yesterday didn't make an appearance;
            we're still anxiously waiting....so much so that I totally forgot to
            attend the Nature Society executive meeting :-).

            Val from McTaggart

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • Greg
            Message 5 of 10 , Dec 6, 2006
              Hello

              I had 7 Partridge at the University this morning just outside of the
              Education Building

              Greg
            • Val
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 6, 2009
                We don't have anything new to report in our yard but do notice the
                covey of Grey Partridge that hang around have dwindled from 14 to 11
                to 10. This past month we have seen a coyote, red fox and Great-
                horned Owl in the yard. The snow is quite deep on the west side of
                the house and not shovelled. As a result, I have a high snow pathway
                there to the backyard. It brings thoughts of reading one story about
                horse-pulled sleighs going to and from McTaggart over the winter,
                following the same pathways. In spring after the snow melted you
                could still see two long ribbons of ice across the field, remnants of
                the packed snow from the sleigh runners! We'll have a ribbon leading
                to the bird feeders :-). We are still feeding 30+ Common Redpolls and
                enjoying them as they will probably leave within a month. I think
                we've had the same pair of Downy Woodpeckers all summer and now this
                winter so hope they are nesting here. We did have two females and one
                male this fall.

                We went to White Bear Lake (aka Carlyle) this afternoon. While still
                west of Stoughton, we took a guess as to when we would see a Common
                Raven which usually show up around Kisbey. I guessed 5 km west of
                Kisbey, Doyle 15 km west. We no sooner said that when two flew onto
                the highway in front of the vehicle. We did see four more along the
                way.

                Val T - McTaggart
              • skyman845
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 11, 2009
                  Hello all, my 6 little Partridge continue to enjoy the seed I have put out for them. On Monday they remained in my backyard from 11 AM until I lost sight of them when the sun went down. They are in my yard daily and have been for almost two weeks now, in fact they are becoming so comfortable they rest on my deck, and are often seen in my children's playhouse.

                  Greg in Regina
                • Val T
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 8, 2012
                    When I looked out at the Harris's and White-crowned feeding this morning I thought we also had some huge Mourning Doves. It was two Grey Partridge feeding along with the birds. Doyle says we have a small flock around the yard. We have four Purple Martins back and hoping for more. Also there are at least six Mourning Doves considering nesting in our Colorado Blue Spruce row. I see Yellow-shafted Northern Flickers around but don't know if they are going to be here or across the road. Still waiting for the Rose-breasted Grosbeaks and Spotted Towhees to come through.

                    Val T - McTaggart area
                  • valndoyle
                    Message 9 of 10 , Dec 25, 2013

                      Forgot to mention that a great treat while eating dinner at our daughter and son-in-law's yesterday in Regina was the 22 Grey Partridge parading past the dining room window. They have them on a daily basis. They lived on the eastern edge of town (Wascana Garden Heights) except for this year as now there are many blocks of new houses east of them. They have been feeding these birds for four years now and no matter how many houses/condos are going up, the birds still find their place. I think Greg K (e-birds) lives in that area and he also has partridge. Wonder if they are the same ones. We see them in the country but it's a nice city treat.

                      Val T - McTaggart

                    • K M
                      Message 10 of 10 , Dec 7, 2014
                        Hi everyone,
                         We have 7 Grey Partridge at the feeder this morning in Rochdale Pk. Kim in Regina