July 31 near Birch Lake

  • Brenda Schmidt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2003
      July 31
      We were out looking at grasses, reeds, sedge and wildflowers this
      afternoon. Didn't expect to see much for birds, but we had some great luck.

      Some birds seen:

      Ruffed Grouse - 8 On the trail into Birch Lake an adult challenged the
      car with a great display of pointed crest, ruffed neck, partially spread
      tail which bent toward its slow rocking and stamping as it moved in a
      semi circle and back again to face us, neck erect and head swaying
      slowly from side to side. The hypnotic movement really did make it look
      larger than usual. 7 young waited in cover at roadside. When it
      determined that we weren't a threat, it gave soft clucks and crossed
      slowly into the woods on the other side, the young right behind.

      Northern Waterthrush - 1

      Magnolia Warbler - 6

      Palm Warbler - 1

      Yellow-rumped - 5

      Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 3

      Eastern Phoebe - 2

      Boreal Chickadee - 10

      Of course, we had a great number of quick inadequate looks at other
      warblers. Anyhow, pretty good for the heat of the day!

      Harvey & Brenda Schmidt
      Creighton, SK