Fall Warblers in Regina and Ft. Qu'Appelle

  • Sandy Ayer
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 4, 2001
      On both 30 and 31 August I saw a Black and White Warbler in Ft. Qu'Appelle, the first sighting was at Prairie Christian Training Centre, the second near the campsite at the south end of Echo Lake--so the same bird may have been involved on both occasions. An enjoyable, but unremarkable sighting, except for the fact that Manley Callin in his book on the birds of the Qu'Appelle mentions that he himself had never seen one later than August 26. I was wondering if someone might be able to tell me whether "late" sightings of this bird have become more common in the valley in the past couple of decades.

      I birded Regina's A. E. Wilson Park on all three days of the long weekend and saw the following species of warbler

      Yellow-rumped
      Yellow
      Chestnut-sided
      Tennessee
      Orange-crowned
      Wilson's
      Blackpoll
      Palm
      Common Yellowthroat
      American Redstart

      I also saw a Blue-headed Vireo yesterday in the same location. Most of these sightings involved only a single individual--even the Yellow-rumped weren't particularly abundant (I saw a max. of 5 on Sat. and Mon.) I saw no warblers at all on Saturday, likely because the 30-50 kph northwest winds had blown them all south.

      I'd be interested in knowing what warblers others have seen in the past few days.

      Sandy Ayer

      H.D. Sandy Ayer (Mr.)
      Director of Library Services
      Canadian Bible College/Canadian Theological Seminary
      4400 4th Ave.
      Regina, Sask., Canada

      S4T 0H8

      306-545-1515