Common Yellowthroat song

  • Sandy Ayer
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27, 2001
      Hello all,

      This past Saturday morning I birded A. E. Wilson Park, starting at the south footbridge. Cross ing the bridge, I stopped at the island just downstream from it and began pishing. I elicited a rapid response in song that was unfamiliar to me until I saw the singer--an immature male Common Yellowthroat (judging from the greyish mask). I realized then that what I'd heard appeared to be the normal song sung at double speed--Alvin and the Chipmunks version of the song, if you like.

      I saw or heard 4 more Common Yellowthroats during my two-hour circuit, but this was the only one that sang.

      Can anyone tell me whether the phenomenon I've described is a common occurrence in Common Yellowthroats or in warblers in general?

      Thanks.

      P.S. I also saw a Ruby-throated Hummingbird (evidently a female) on Boreal Island (in A. E. Wilson Park)

      Sandy Ayer

      H.D. Sandy Ayer (Mr.)
      Director of Library Services
      Canadian Bible College/Canadian Theological Seminary
      4400 4th Ave.
      Regina, Sask., Canada

      S4T 0H8

      306-545-1515