Re: [Saskbirds] Digest Number 125

  • Daniel Neves
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 2001
      Hello All:

      I just have to say I witnessed something a little diferent awhile back and
      have promised myself I would start mentioning these things even though there
      is no "rarity factor"
      On Aug.10 2001 I was near the old Round Prairie Cemetary down the 219
      from Saskatoon and saw a "flock" of Common Nighthawks. The total number was
      32 birds, I assume several family groups and probably nesting nearby on the
      Revelstoke? owned gravel pits. They seemed to criss cross the river in 100m
      widths and I followed their progress as they "shifted" their interlacing...
      Southerly each time as they returned from crossing the river and then
      circled round for another pass. Neat. I followed them nearly the half mile
      south to the PFRA breeding pasture before I left. Quite a swarm of them, and
      I have not seen anything like these numbers since the 70's when dozens would
      be vocally hawking insects over the Westside neighborhoods of Saskatoon,
      though in small groups or individually. Alright then..Cheers all..

      DanNeves