Re: [Saskbirds] Return of the Ravens

  • trevor.herriot@sasktel.sk.ca
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 5, 2000
      Hi all:

      Just wanted to drop in a note of thanks for those who contributed to the Raven
      discussion--particularly Robert Kreba (Robert--I think you have just written a
      Blue Jay article. You could submit that posting to the editors as is and I am
      sure they would be more than happy to share it with their readership.) This
      discussion has been a fine example of what Saskbirds can be for its subscribers
      (the trip reports have been great too!).

      The return of the raven has been one positive note in the changing ecology of
      the northern Great Plains--finally something we can "crow" about. Or perhaps the
      credit goes elsewhere. Given the place of the raven within the dreams and
      stories of plains first peoples, I cannot help wondering if this great bird has
      come back to the prairie at the bidding of the people who knew it first and
      best. This same period--1970s through the 1990s--saw a real cultural and
      spiritual rennaissance for Indian people in this region. Where for seventy years
      or more traditional ceremonies were practiced in secret by a few elders, today
      great numbers of Cree, Assiniboine, and Saulteaux men and women are again openly
      celebrating, praying, leaving offerings, dancing, telling their stories and
      singing their songs. I suspect that the old story-tellers would say that Raven
      came out of hiding when the time was right. Now, the question is, what would it
      take for the Grandfathers themselves--the Buffalo--to emerge again? Perhaps we
      would all have to change our prayers, our stories, our celebrations, and our
      sacrifices.

      All good things,

      Trevor Herriot