Pelicans

  • micknsharon@sk.sympatico.ca
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 24, 2001
      I see pelicans on many different lakes as well as the rivers but am
      sure there cannot be that many breeding colonies of these magnificent
      birds in the area.
      How far do they travel to feed, and how long might they spend on a
      feeding trip?

      Cheers, Mick
    • tsb2001
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 11, 2002
        Val
        Birds are still migrating. I saw and heard a male Mourning Warbler and
        several Alder Flycatchers today in Wascana Park. I also saw unusual numbers
        of Eastern and Western Kingbirds there.

        Last week a large flock of Barn Swallows were foraging over the Marsh and
        Lake. They have been late to arrive in numbers this year.

        These Pelicans are probably non-breeders just leisurely making their
        migration.

        Take care
      • prairieval
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 11, 2002
          This morning Doyle saw a flock of 17 Pelicans flying low over our
          farmyard. They checked out the dugout but didn't land. Wonder in
          this ridiculously cold weather if the birds are thinking of fall
          migration :-)).

          Val and Doyle from north of McTaggart
        • Dannie Carsen
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 12, 2002
            Hello Folks,
            I just got back from three weeks in Saskatchewan and Alberta and wanted to
            thank everyone who offered birding and botany help to me before I left. It
            was neat seeing the bird list grow and get an idea of what was around
            before going. Special thanks to Barb Beck who helped with the botany books
            and Bob L. who provided detailed descriptions to many birding locations. I
            especially enjoyed the Chaplin Lake Shorebird Festival.

            My bird list isn't compiled yet, but lifers include both Chestnut-collared
            and McCown's Longspurs and Sprague's Pipit in Grasslands Park plus
            Ferruginous Hawk on the way there, Piping Plover at Chaplin Lake, and a
            Pine Warbler at Cypress Hills. I did see many other birds which I don't see
            often such as White Pelican at Loch Leven and American Avocets at many
            little ponds and sloughs. A Golden Eagle flew right over my head on a
            little ridge, and I only noticed when I heard the sound of its wings.

            If folks are interested, I'll post a quick summary of my backpacking trip
            across Grasslands Park and the flora and fauna seen there.

            Regards,

            Dannie Carsen
            Victoria, B.C.
            dcarsen@...
          • maadhatter22
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 12, 2002
              Happy to hear you made it back home, Dannie!! Too bad you had to
              have some bad weather out here, too, but it did blow in some moisture
              the past few days, and as I am sure you noticed, we definitely needed
              it!! (Isn't Cypress Hills a beautiful place to be in?? Next to
              Waterton Lakes Nat. Park in SW corner of Alberta, the Cypress Hills
              run a close second in our hearts!!)

              We would be more than interested to hear about what you saw on your
              trip to the Prairies.

              Happy Birding...

              - Mary Ann, Larry, & Ryan Dudragne, Swift Current
              http://www3.sk.sympatico.ca/dudrl/

              --- In Saskbirds@y..., Dannie Carsen <dcarsen@s...> wrote:
              > Hello Folks,
              > I just got back from three weeks in Saskatchewan and Alberta and
              wanted to
              > thank everyone who offered birding and botany help to me before I
              left. It
              > was neat seeing the bird list grow and get an idea of what was
              around
              > before going. Special thanks to Barb Beck who helped with the
              botany books
              > and Bob L. who provided detailed descriptions to many birding
              locations. I
              > especially enjoyed the Chaplin Lake Shorebird Festival.
              >
              > My bird list isn't compiled yet, but lifers include both Chestnut-
              collared
              > and McCown's Longspurs and Sprague's Pipit in Grasslands Park plus
              > Ferruginous Hawk on the way there, Piping Plover at Chaplin Lake,
              and a
              > Pine Warbler at Cypress Hills. I did see many other birds which I
              don't see
              > often such as White Pelican at Loch Leven and American Avocets at
              many
              > little ponds and sloughs. A Golden Eagle flew right over my head on
              > little ridge, and I only noticed when I heard the sound of its
              wings.

              > If folks are interested, I'll post a quick summary of my
              backpacking trip
              > across Grasslands Park and the flora and fauna seen there.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > Dannie Carsen
              > Victoria, B.C.
              > dcarsen@s...
            • Bailey and Bjorklund
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 6, 2006
                > I should also mention that I have reconsidered my frog observation from
                a few days ago. After doing a lot more research and consulting, they were
                Boreal Chorus Frogs instead of Leopard Frogs. Based on first calling dates
                and time of day species call this seems like the much more logical species.
                Sorry about that!

                They say that the Northern Leopard Frog makes a low guttaral snore. I first
                saw what turned up to be 500 - 600 of them (sub-adults) at the beginning of
                July in the water courses of the Weyburn Golf Course. A one off event.

                Martin

              • lotsalilies123
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 8, 2006
                  About 20 American White Pelicans flew very low over the yard at about
                  7 this evening.

                  Sharon @ Ituna
                • Ralph Goff
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 7, 2008
                    Spotted a flock of birds circling about a half mile to the northwest of my
                    yard this morning while working. All I could tell was that they were big and
                    mostly white. Whooping cranes maybe?? Looked to be about 50 in the flock and
                    they were getting closer so I decided to run for the camera. I managed to
                    get a couple of photos as they passed over the yard and after zooming in on
                    the pics I see they are pelicans.
                    http://hotimg16.fotki.com/a/142_165/28_233/pelicans.jpg
                    I also noticed a large flock of white geese on the large sloughs north of
                    Lipton this aft. This spot is always popular with the geese both spring and
                    fall.

                    Ralph at Lipton
                  • Kathy Hedegard
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 12, 2009
                      Further news from Estevan (via Larry Preddy):

                      4 Am. White Pelicans were spotted just south of town this morning. Also more Red-Winged Blackbirds, and a couple Common Mergansers on some open water at a shallow inlet at Rafferty Dam.

                      Larry found two occupied hawk nests, at least one of which is Ferruginous (as per a photo sent me).

                      Kathy in Estevan