Saskatchewan Birding

  • Jack Alban
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 2, 2001
      Jennifer and I birded Saskatchewan from Thursday, May 24, thru Wednesday,
      May 30. Here is a short summary of our trip:

      We really enjoyed Saskatchewan, the birding and especially the friendly
      birders. We birded with Trevor Herriot (Caledonia-Elmsthorpe Community
      Pasture and Buck Lake), and Robert Kreba and Curtis Pollock (Catley Ranch).
      We saw 12 of our 18 target birds, missing Yellow Rail, Black-billed Cuckoo,
      Connecticut Warbler, Philadelphia Vireo, Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, and
      Black-backed Woodpecker. We found:

      Spruce Grouse - Prince Albert National Park (PANP) on Boundary Bog Trail at
      0500 hours, a lone male displaying and got great looks.

      Ruffed Grouse - heard almost everywhere, saw 2 males, one drumming along the
      Narrows Road in PANP.

      White-rumped Sandpiper (not a target bird) - 2 at Buck Lake

      Veery - Catley Ranch near Craven

      Sedge Wren - Catley Ranch near Craven

      Sprague's Pipit - one skylarking and singing very high (in frequency and
      altitude) against a blue sky and white clouds, was able to watch thru a
      scope, at Caledonia-Elmsthorpe Community Pasture southwest of Milestone.

      Tennessee Warbler - saw our first at Catley Ranch, but were EVERYWHERE at
      PANP, must be a great year for spruce budworm.

      Cape May Warbler - saw our first in PANP on the Narrows Road but they too
      were very common because of the budworm.

      Bay-breasted Warbler - saw our first male at Catley Ranch with fantastic
      eye-level views for 15 minutes; we walked away from this bird, he wouldn't
      leave. Saw many others at various locations during the trip.

      Mourning Warbler - one male singing at eye-level (great views for many
      minutes), south of Armit along 981, just west of Woody Lake Road. Thanks
      Wayne Harris for turning us on to this location.

      Canada Warbler - one male, in the rain, along Mud Creek Trail in PANP.
      Thanks to the Park Ranger who alerted us to Canada Warblers being along this
      trail.

      Chestnut-collared Longspur - several perched and singing, and flying, got
      very good looks at these birds, C-E Community Pasture.

      Baird's Sparrow - several perched and singing, got very good looks, C-E
      Community Pasture.

      We birded south of Regina (C-E Community Pasture), northwest of Regina
      (Catley Ranch), Prince Albert National Park, Hiway west and east of Armit,
      Hiway 981 south of Armit, and Duck Mountain Provincial Park. The mosquitoes
      were only a little bad at Duck Mountain, at the ski area, otherwise they
      were no problem. We never used repellant.

      We thoroughly enjoyed the scenery, the birds, the other wildlife, and
      especially the people that we met.

      Hope this helps.

      Jack and Jennifer Alban

      Jack Alban