Blackstrap and Brightwater

  • micknsharon
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 24, 2003
      On Tuesday 23rd April, we decided to travel south from Saskatoon for
      a change to check out two of the "Hot Spots" listed in the recently
      published "Birds of the Saskatoon Area". These were Blackstrap
      Reservoir and the nearby Brightwater Marsh. My one problem with
      large areas such as these is the distance between the watcher and
      some of the birds which is why I tend to prefer patch birding. That
      said, it was a beautiful day and we did enjoy the "hunt", there was
      however a wind of 25kph at times causing fair sized waves on the
      more open areas of the still partially frozen Blackstrap and the
      wide open Brightwater Marsh, these waves easily hid some of the
      smaller ducks and grebes at times especially given their habit of
      diving just as you manage to get focused.
      I have not attempted to give totals of birds seen as this is not
      possible for 2 birders on such large areas, but we were well pleased
      with some of the sightings.

      At Blackstrap Reservoir:
      Red-winged Blackbird
      Canvasback
      Mallard
      Scaup sp. (probably Lesser) a flock of 40 on the North End slough.
      American Wigeon
      American Crow
      Black-billed Magpie
      Horned Lark
      Grey Partridge, 1 pair.
      Western Meadowlark
      Northern Harrier, 1 female
      Killdeer
      Common Merganser, 1 pair.
      Ring-billed Gull
      Franklin's Gull, quite a few near the causeway.
      Common Loon, 1 very close to the causeway giving good views, 1 more
      heard calling in the distance.
      Ruddy Duck, 2
      Double-crested Cormorant, 14+
      Horned Grebe,2, from the causeway, on the north side sheltering from
      the wind.
      American Kestrel, 1 male seen about half a mile to the west of the
      reservoir.

      At Brightwater Marsh: Large numbers of ducks along the entire length
      of the marsh but not all identifiable due to the windy conditions
      previously mentioned.
      Mallard
      Northern Pintail
      Gadwall
      Bufflehead
      Double-crested Cormorant
      Red-tailed Hawk, 3
      Ring-billed Gull
      Franklin's Gull
      American Crow
      Northern Shoveler
      American Coot
      Blue-winged Teal
      Canada Goose
      Black-billed Magpie
      American Wigeon
      Ring-necked Duck
      Green-winged Teal
      Redhead
      Scaup sp
      Western Meadowlark
      Mountain Bluebird, 2
      Yellow-headed Blackbird, 1 among
      Red-winged Blackbird, dozens.
      Northern Harrier, 1male, 1 female.
      Greater Yellowlegs, 3 at the north end of the marsh where the road
      turns. Very close views down to about 25 feet. Noted the slightly
      upturned bill, folded wing tips level with the tip of the tail, bold
      stripes on flanks, unfortunately no other birds nearby to get a size
      comparison.

      For those getting the chance to visit this area but are pushed for
      time Brightwater Marsh gets my vote over Blackstrap but that is just
      my opinion. As mentioned in the report for the Regina group trip,
      very few passerines were encountered, I would of expected to see
      more in the way of sparrows with these warm temperatures and
      southerly winds.

      Cheers,
      Mick,
      Saskatoon.
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 25, 2003
        Mick
        I must confess little experience with Brightwater Marsh; however, I would
        think that Blackstrap Reservoir is perhaps a better area. It would perhaps
        depend upon which species you wish to see. Some of the marsh birds, waders
        and dabbler ducks may indeed be more plentiful at Brightwater. A question
        may be the viewing angles and ability to study the area.

        Veteran Saskatoon birders would perhaps be in a better position to answer
        this than me. I would be curious to know other viewpoints about the relative
        merits of these two sites.

        One of the better aspects of Blackstrap is the accessibility. The majority
        of the reservoir can be covered via a scope from various viewing sites. The
        north and south dykes plus the causeway area are perhaps the best areas. Is
        this type of coverage possible for Brightwater?

        A negative for Blackstrap could be the boat traffic.

        These are some of the memorable sightings that I have enjoyed at Blackstrap
        : Black-necked Stilt, Sabine's Gull, Black Scoter, Barrow's Goldeneye,
        Red-throated Loon, Pacific Loon, Mew Gull (Twice), Least Tern , Little Gull
        and King Eider. I suspect that many other species could be added to this
        list by resident birders. Also, I wish to be clear that I only discovered a
        few of these.

        It is also a good place in fall for Gyrfalcons and the usual assortment of
        waterfowl and raptor migrants.

        Good Birding
        Bob L.
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 25, 2003
          Brightwater may be fine destination. I haven't birded that area much.
          Blackstrap Reservoir is perhaps one of the best birding spots in the
          Province.

          Some of the rare sightings that I have had for Blackstrap include: King
          Eider, Little Gull, Least Tern, Sabine's Gull, Black-necked Stilt, Mew Gull,
          Pacific and Red-throated Loon. Others may have more
        • Jared Clarke
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 25, 2003
            This morning at Condie there were:

            3 Tree Swallows
            1 Ruby Crowned Kinglet
            1 Yellow-rumped Warbler
            1 White Crowned Sparrow
            8 Vesper Sparrows
            3 Red-necked Grebes
            Also heard a Wild Turkey.

            Jared

          • rebel_xsrm
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 20, 2007
              I spent a couple hours around Condie this evening.The ticks were out
              in full force already and I been still picking off a few.The wind was
              still fairly brisk and the lighting conditions weren't the best for
              photos.
              I seen the following species tonight,northern harrier,kestrel,red
              tailed hawk,blue winged teal,lesser scaup,mallard,pintail,coot,red
              winged blackbirds in abundance, the ever present ring billed gulls and
              canada geese,western meadow lark,mourning dove,robin,pair of grey
              partridge,and a male and female pheasant just as I was leaving.
              I managed to squeeze off a couple of pics of the male pheasant before
              he disappeared.the light was getting pretty bad by then and I was down
              to a 60th of a second(shutter speed)..not the best for getting a sharp
              shot with a 400 mm lens out the window of my truck.I was still happy
              with it though considering I very rarely see one of these beautiful
              birds. Take care fellow birders-Rocky M.-Regina
              http://souloftheprairie.spaces.live.com
            • b_quiring
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 11, 2009
                I went out to Condie for a walk this morning. I saw my first Snow Geese of the fall as a flock of about 100 passed overhead. Yellow-Rumped Warblers were everywhere but few other warblers were there except for a pair of Palm Warblers. A large flock of about 100 Barn Swallows were also hanging around and good numbers of Goldfinches and Cedar Waxwings were present. Some of the expected waterfowl was around, but in lower numbers than the last couple weeks.

                Brett Quiring
                Regina
              • prairiesfran
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 15, 2012
                  Out and about today, Condie, Valeport, W of Strasbourg.

                  At Condie: Canada Geese, 6 ring billed gulls, 1 Bonaparte's, and the GH Owl in the nest.

                  Valeport: the road is a mess, but parking up top and walking down: we saw chickadees, and a lot of Canada Geese, as with at the 2 large sloughs just W of Strasbourg.

                  Fran in Regina
                • prairiesfran
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 17, 2012
                    Correction: Franklin not Bonaparte, I concur Laurie THANK YOU! :)

                    --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, "prairiesfran" <prairiesfran@...> wrote:

                    > Out and about today, Condie, Valeport, W of Strasbourg.
                    >
                    > At Condie: Canada Geese, 6 ring billed gulls, 1 Bonaparte's, and the GH Owl in the nest.
                    >
                    > Valeport: the road is a mess, but parking up top and walking down: we saw chickadees, and a lot of Canada Geese, as with at the 2 large sloughs just W of Strasbourg.
                    >
                    > Fran in Regina

                  • jem_387
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 2, 2013
                      One of my favourite spots is the Condie nature refuge. In summer it is a mecca of birds. It's a little slow right now but there are some phesants that live there so I'll periodically go and see if they are around. I've uploaded a picture of one I saw last week.

                      //john

                      John Meed
                      Lumsden, Sk