Misc Sightings....

  • M A
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2014
      A few people have been telling me about what they have been seeing...

      The local Naturalist group went on a field trip last weekend to the McCallum's Ranch  (Beaver Flats area... private property - they did obtain permission).  Their big sighting there was when they were near an old building and saw something move in the window.  They focused their binoculars on it -- a Raccoon.  They did not go any closer to the building.

      One of my co-workers has been seeing at least 2 or 3 Turkey Vultures soaring over Elmwood Park and Riverside Park (aka Southside Park) in Swift Current over the past three weeks.  They aren't seen every day, but are seen every two or three days in these areas.

      Another co-worker up near Rosetown has an acreage near Magee.  He has a number of birds making their home there, especially Mallards, Western Kingbirds, Eastern Kingbirds, American Robins, and the like.   He also has at least one family of Loggerhead Shrikes living there.  He has been in contact with "Shrubs for Shrikes", and has received information as well as signs to post on his property.

      The same co-worker has also been keeping an eye on three Mallard hens nesting against buildings in the Rosetown compressor station yard.  There are also Canada Geese by the dugout at the same location.  I just heard the middle of this past week that one of the duck nests hatched out (but did not get duckling numbers from another person who told me about it.)  He said a number of people have been telling him about ducks nesting up against buildings this year.  They also have Killdeer nesting in the compressor station yard.

      This same co-worker has been doing maintenance at meter station sites south of Rosetown and has told me there are Killdeer at almost every meter station site.... I guess they like the nice graveled areas.

      - Mary Ann, Swift Current, SK
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W