Last Prothonotary Update plus recent Sightings

  • bobluterbach
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2014
      This will be my last Saskbirds update for this Warbler . If anyone wishes updates in the future please email me directly.

      In spite of very causally checking the area yesterday without seeing or hearing the bird, I both saw and heard it this morning at 11:30. on my second walking tour of both alleys to the north and south of Quinn Drive.

      The bird was seen briefly, after being heard first, in a flowering crab apple tree at the entrance of the South Quinn Drive Alley at the Ottawa Street intersection .

      As has been mentioned by me and others this bird is now much less regular in its singing and also appears very restless moving frequently throughout its already described backyard ranges. After it foraged for a just few minutes providing excellent views, it flew into the next yard east. I did not attempt to pursue it.

      =====

      In other news, during my last two visits to the Valeport Picnic Site, I have seen a male Clark's Grebe paired with a female Western Grebe. Beware of the deep ruts should you drive into the Picnic Site Overlook  Also chose to visit this area early during a calm morning as I did last Thursday. The light also is compromised in the afternoon as the sun creates extremely poor views as it is reflected upon the water. West or northwestern winds cause wave action which creates viewing challenges.

      A scope is required as the birds are offshore foraging sometimes along the dike which separates the Lake from the Marsh. This CLGR is easily recognized even at a distance by its bright 'popsicle orange' bill among other classic field marks. There are also fewer WEGR's now  at this once thriving colony perhaps because of the scouring of the vegetation caused by the floods of several years ago. The Grebes that do breed now are in shallower water on the Marsh side of the Dike. My sense is that raccoon predation occurring in the shallower water east of the Dike has reduced their breeding success at that location.

      I also drove to the area which leads to the now posted Catley Old Ranch Area. The road leading to the base of what was once falsely rumoured as a Buffalo Jump has now very dangerous deep ruts as severe as those leading to Little Arm. If you slip into these deep crevasses, you could severely damage your car.

      The spring that needs to be crossed as well is now impassable by vehicle because of the deep cuts created by the water flow plus the walking trail through the aspen grove leading towards the gate is also impassable now because of a pond and ruts caused by four wheelers. Detouring through the woods is difficult because of the dead fall and swampy conditions.

      During the trip east towards the area just described from the direction of the Little Church, I heard a Yellow-breasted Chat in a ravine south of the road. The entire area is posted and a scope maybe required to see the bird from the road when it upon occasion perches in the open.

      I also checked Seven Bridges Road earlier that day and heard a couple of grosbeak species; however, no Lazuli Buntings. It is early for them though at this location. The Buntings sing much more as the temperatures increase later in this month and early in July..

      Enjoy birding

      .
    • valndoyle
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 16, 2014
        There is a Snowy Owl along the Yellow Grass road we've all been scouting now and then. It looks as if the left Wong may be injured. It looks healthy enough otherwise and is sitting by the dugout about 3-4 Kms south of the red barn that is midway on the road. The dugout is on the west side of the road. It just looked at us and made no attempt to fly. A Snowy Owl was spotted mid summer two years ago in this same area. We were pleased to see a few Bobolinks on this trip. Also heard Soras. Val T - McTaggart
      • valndoyle
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 16, 2014
          And before Jim comments, I know dugouts don't look at you and attempt to fly as my posting suggested. Ha. Also the left wIng instead if Wong. Darned little phone keyboards. Val