Brightwater Resevoir

  • ROb Salisbury
    Message 1 of 28 , Apr 13, 2003
      Hey
      So my family and I went to the Brightwater resevoir today. Saw about 100
      Junco's (a few dozen per group), quite a few Bluebirds, Crows, Robins,
      Rough-Legged Hawk, American Tree Sparrows, Red Tailed Hawks, a pair of
      Hooded Mergansers!!, Blue and Green Winged Teals, Wigeons, Pintails,
      Mallards, Horned and Meadowlarks, Crows, Goldeneye, and a hawk that we
      had trouble identifying. It was either a light Red-Tail, who was missing
      its belly-band (indeed, there were few markings on the underbody at all)
      (and if it was a RTHA, it was not a Krider's Hawk, since it's top was
      not light enough), or a Ferruginous Hawk.

      One question: What is the difference between Eastern and Western
      Meadowlarks? One singing today sounded quite different from the rest. It
      didn't burble much at the end, and the beginning was different. Are
      there ways to tell the difference by song, or by look? The books show
      minor differences, but they're all pretty close to each other.

      ROb Salisbury
      Message 2 of 28 , Apr 13, 2003
        Rob
        The Eastern and Western Meadowlark have much different songs and call notes.
        Check www.eNature.com for these differences.

        Last year we had a single bird at Kroneau which gave both call notes, the
        Western "chuck" and the Eastern buzzy "dzzerrt".

        Good Birding !
        Bob L.
      • M.W. Nickel
        Message 3 of 28 , Apr 13, 2003
          Hi ROb: Earlier you were asking about aberations in birds.It is an interesting thing to
          watch for. In any bunch of thirty or forty HOSP you'll almost always find differences in
          white feathers or in the shades of brown somewhere. For 2 years now my wife and I have been
          watching a ONE LEGGED magpie make its way about the nearby Lakewood Park. Two years ago
          there were three albino Magpies around my farm acerage. They stayed around from spring
          until fall but we did not see them after September. You had a very productive trip this
          week-end ! Thanks !
          Menno Nickel.

          ROb Salisbury wrote:

          > Hey
          > So my family and I went to the Brightwater resevoir today. Saw about 100
          > Junco's (a few dozen per group), quite a few Bluebirds, Crows, Robins,
          > Rough-Legged Hawk, American Tree Sparrows, Red Tailed Hawks, a pair of
          > Hooded Mergansers!!, Blue and Green Winged Teals, Wigeons, Pintails,
          > Mallards, Horned and Meadowlarks, Crows, Goldeneye, and a hawk that we
          > had trouble identifying. It was either a light Red-Tail, who was missing
          > its belly-band (indeed, there were few markings on the underbody at all)
          > (and if it was a RTHA, it was not a Krider's Hawk, since it's top was
          > not light enough), or a Ferruginous Hawk.
          >
          > One question: What is the difference between Eastern and Western
          > Meadowlarks? One singing today sounded quite different from the rest. It
          > didn't burble much at the end, and the beginning was different. Are
          > there ways to tell the difference by song, or by look? The books show
          > minor differences, but they're all pretty close to each other.
          >
          > ROb Salisbury

        • Jared Clarke
          Message 4 of 28 , Apr 13, 2003
            Hi Everyone,

            Today I saw a flock of 19 Tundra Swans.  They were in a small collection of water in a farmers' field east of the city.  I checked them all, just incase a lone Trumpeter was among them but no luck.  They all had yellow lores, a few didn't but were the same size and shape.  Among them were numerous Pintails, Mallards, and a few Norther Shovellers.

            I also stopped at Monica Slough, which is all free of ice.  Here there was 3 Western Meadowlarks, 4 Lesser Scaup (3 males + 1 female) 4 Pintails, 2 Mallards, and 2 Northern Harriers, both sexes.  On the way their I also saw a beautiful Mountain Bluebird, the first of the season for me.  As well I saw, way far off even for my scope, a flock of approx. 30 Sandhill Cranes circling high in the air.

            After looking at what was at Monica, I went search of Sandhill Cranes, but never found that flock.  I did manage to find 2 Sandhill Cranes, 5 Horned Larks, 7 Dark-eyed Juncos, 15 Robins, 2 Flickers, a European Starling, and 2 more Western Meadowlarks.

            Jared

          • micknsharon
            Message 5 of 28 , Apr 14, 2003
              --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Jared Clarke <clarkejared16@y...>
              wrote:
              > Hi Everyone, Today I saw a flock of 19 Tundra Swans. They were in
              a small collection of water in a farmers' field east of the city. I
              also stopped at Monica Slough Jared

              Jared, could you tell us where abouts on the east of the city you
              saw the swans, just in case they might hang about for a couple of
              days. Where exactly is Monica Slough, I know they probably have
              established names but these dont usually appear on the maps.

              Cheers,
              Mick,
              Saskatoon.
            • Jared Clarke
              Message 6 of 28 , Apr 14, 2003
                Sorry Mick, I should have included this anyways.  To get to Monica Slough, you can take Highway #33 out of the city (Regina).  From the city the road is divided, but soon turns into single.  Around the same time this occurs, there is a railroad track that runs across the highway.  Pass over this and it is your first right.  Then turn right again almost immediately, infront of an old farm house, and follow that road, the slough is 1 minute from there!

                Now to where I found the swan.  Take the same Highway, pass of the tracks, however this time, instead of turning right (to get to Monica) turn  left.  It's the same intersection.  Then turn left again, and follow this gravel road.  It was maybe 1 minutes from this spot.  I could see the highway from where I was.  This wasn't a real slough like Monica, it was just a low spot in a field collected with water.  So I hope this helps Mick, and if anyone else who can help make these directions make sense, please do so!!

                By the way, I forgot to mention, I saw 2 Purple Finches and 3 Common Grackles in my backyard yesterday.

                Jared

              • micknsharon
                Message 7 of 28 , Apr 14, 2003
                  wrote:
                  To get to Monica Slough, you can take Highway #33 out of the city
                  (Regina)............

                  Jared, thanks for the detailed instructions but when you said "the
                  city" I thought you meant "THE CITY" namely Saskatoon, guess I
                  should of paid more attention to where you were seeing things on
                  your previous postings. I hope someone else finds the info useful
                  and gets to see the swans.

                  Cheers,
                  Mick,
                  Saskatoon.
                • micknsharon
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jul 24, 2004
                    We took a drive out to the Clavet Mine ponds last evening, 23rd. Two
                    Tundra Swans were present but no sign of any young this year.
                    Amongst the other ducks were half a dozen Ruddy Ducks with very
                    aggresive behaviour taking place between two of the adult males.

                    Cheers,
                    Mick,
                    Saskatoon.
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jul 24, 2004
                      Mick
                      That is interesting news. Perhaps the young or eggs were predated or they just failed to breed during this cold spring. Have the water levels changed?
                      Good Birding
                      We took a drive out to the Clavet Mine ponds last evening, 23rd. Two
                      Tundra Swans were present but no sign of any young this year.
                      Amongst the other ducks were half a dozen Ruddy Ducks with very
                      aggresive behaviour taking place between two of the adult males.

                      Cheers,
                      Mick,
                      Saskatoon.

                      Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                    • micknsharon
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jul 25, 2004
                        Bob, I would say the water levels are higher this year than last
                        leaving little in the way of shore. There are however some large
                        straw bales in the water, presumably intended as artificial islands.

                        Cheers,
                        Mick,
                        Saskatoon.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Jul 25, 2004
                          Mick
                          Did the birds nest on an island last year? Perhaps that is flooded this year. Or I am confused about this.
                          Take care
                          Bob
                          Bob, I would say the water levels are higher this year than last
                          leaving little in the way of shore. There are however some large
                          straw bales in the water, presumably intended as artificial islands.

                          Cheers,
                          Mick,
                          Saskatoon.

                          --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Bob <tsb2001@s...> wrote:
                          > Mick
                          > That is interesting news. Perhaps the young or eggs were predated
                          or they just failed to breed during this cold spring. Have the water
                          levels changed?
                          > Good Birding
                          > Bob L

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • Greg
                          Message 12 of 28 , Jul 25, 2004
                            Hello...I just got back to Regina from Saskatoon an on the drive back
                            at Davidson I observed 7 Tundra Swans in the Marshlands just east of
                            the town.

                            Greg

                            --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Bob <tsb2001@s...> wrote:
                            > Mick
                            > Did the birds nest on an island last year? Perhaps that is flooded
                            this year. Or I am confused about this.
                            > Take care
                            > Bob

                            Terms
                            > of Service.

                            > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                            Service.

                          • valndoyle
                            Message 13 of 28 , Nov 18, 2004
                              Elma McCormick counted 85 Tundra Swans on the lagoons down by Nickle
                              Lake on the weekend. Also noted around Weyburn area this week by
                              spotters were:
                              1 American Bald Eagle
                              1 Golden Eagle
                              3 Blue Jays
                              2 Pine Grosbeaks
                              1 Golden-crowned Kinglets
                              Pine Siskins
                              Several Common Redpolls

                              There was 1 Snowy Owl sitting on top of a grain pile in the field
                              south of our place last evening. Audrey saw one by the spillway at
                              Nickle Lake.

                              We went to Indian Head last week where we had seen the Black-backed
                              Woodpecker with you Bob. Also saw lots of evidence but even though it
                              was a calm day, we coudn't hear tapping going on.

                              Val - McTaggart
                            • plantman108
                              Message 14 of 28 , Apr 12, 2005
                                Two Tundra Swans flew over Wascana Lake around 7:00 a.m.

                                Saw one Northern Flicker(Y.S.) by the mountain site this a.m. and one
                                out Bob Ewarts office window this a.m.

                                Steven
                              • micknsharon
                                Message 15 of 28 , Jun 30, 2005
                                  Nicely prompted Bob!!! We took a drive south east from Saskatoon to
                                  Clavet Mine this evening, Thursday 30th June. For those who do not
                                  know the area this is on the west side of Patience Lake, south of
                                  highway 5. Although Patience Lake is alkaline there are several
                                  small fresh water lakes beside the mine. Yes there is a pair of
                                  Tundra Swans and they have two nice sized cygnets, lets hope they
                                  make it to flying age and beyond. Also around this area were quite a
                                  few Bank Swallows 20+, there is quite an extensive area of sand to
                                  the west of the road running past the mine and obviously a breeding
                                  colony of this species. Also seen were Black Tern, Forsters Tern,
                                  Eastern Kingbird, Western Kingbird, Swainson's Hawk, Northern
                                  Harrier, Yellow-headed Blackbird, Red-winged Blackbird, American
                                  Avocet, Gadwall with young, Green-winged Teal. A couple of miles
                                  north of the mine we saw Mountain Bluebird with young on the wing
                                  and a real close view of a Red-tailed Hawk. We saw three White-
                                  tailed Deer in the area one of which was accompanied by its still
                                  small and spotted fawn.

                                  Regarding Tundra Swans, I was in conversation with one of the zoo
                                  keepers (sorry if that is not the politically correct term to use
                                  these days) earlier in the year, who told me that a pair return to
                                  the zoo's wildfowl pond every summer. I haven't been in the zoo this
                                  summer but if we have any members who may know a little more perhaps
                                  we could be enlightened.

                                  Cheers,
                                  Mick,
                                  Saskatoon.
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Jul 1, 2005
                                    Mick
                                    Thanks for this. This is remarkable that these Tundra Swans have been in this area for several years. I ,too, hope they are successful this year.

                                    The report from the zoo is intriguing as well.

                                    Take care
                                    Bob

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Jul 1, 2005
                                      Bob, what is remarkable is that even in the well travelled areas of
                                      the province birds go unreported (yes I am as guilty of that) or
                                      unseen. What are we missing from the less explored and more isolated
                                      areas of the province? How come we get no input from the
                                      proffesionals, are the rarer and endangered species not monitored by
                                      Canadian wildlife authorities? For example, how many American White
                                      Pelicans attempted breeding at Redberry lake last year and how
                                      succesful were they? This forum of ours serves a remarkable service
                                      in letting other birders know what is going on. However it seems
                                      that once a bird has made it on to the year list or winter list they
                                      are not reported again, some of these birds would still be of
                                      interest to those who want to add them to their own personal lists.
                                      I guess coming from the UK I got spoilt as there are more birders
                                      there than the whole population of Saskatchewan covering roughly the
                                      same area. The drawback to that is the rarity chasers make life
                                      pretty unbearable when a rare bird does turn up....hundreds of
                                      binoculars, telescopes and cameras focused on your back garden
                                      trying to get a glimpse of an American Robin!!

                                      Cheers,
                                      Mick,
                                      Saskatoon.

                                      --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Bob <tsb2001@s...> wrote:
                                      > Mick
                                      > Thanks for this. This is remarkable that these Tundra Swans have
                                      been in this area for several years. I ,too, hope they are
                                      successful this year.

                                      > The report from the zoo is intriguing as well.
                                      >
                                      > Take care
                                      > Bob
                                    • Scott Wilson
                                      Message 18 of 28 , Jul 1, 2005
                                        On 050701 10:36 AM, "micknsharon" <micknsharon@...> wrote:

                                        > However it seems
                                        > that once a bird has made it on to the year list or winter list they
                                        > are not reported again

                                        OK, Mick: here are some previously-reported birds!
                                        From a slough 12 km S of Kronau:
                                        American avocets; 2 pairs flying defensively; one female was ³skulking²
                                        through the grass with her head down, but still 95% visible;
                                        Willets; 2 pair flying defensively
                                        Wilson¹s phalaropes; 1 pair flying defensively
                                        Upland plovers heard
                                        Yellow-headed blackbirds ­ several
                                        Redwinged blackbirds
                                        Eared Grebes ­ 5
                                        Blue-winged teal ­ 3
                                        Sora rail heard
                                        Ring-billed gull
                                        Killdeer
                                        Brewer¹s blackbirds

                                        Also, I believe there is a Red-necked grebe nesting in Wascana marsh near
                                        the university; there are also four Eared-grebe nests.

                                        Scott
                                      • micknsharon
                                        Message 19 of 28 , Jul 1, 2005
                                          OK Scott I appologise to all who post repeat sightings, yes some
                                          birds are reported more than once, I was generalising and that is
                                          one thing I should not be doing in this age of the internet.

                                          Thanks to all who contribute to Saskbirds, your sightings are all
                                          valuable.

                                          Cheers,
                                          Mick,
                                          Saskatoon.

                                          --- In Saskbirds@yahoogroups.com, Scott Wilson <scott.wilson@u...>

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Jul 1, 2005
                                            Mick
                                            No offence taken I'm certain. .

                                            Good Birding
                                            Bob

                                            wrote:
                                            > On 050701 10:36 AM, "micknsharon" <micknsharon@s...> wrote:
                                            >
                                            > > However it seems
                                            > > that once a bird has made it on to the year list or winter list
                                            they
                                            > > are not reported again
                                            >
                                            > OK, Mick: here are some previously-reported birds!
                                            > From a slough 12 km S of Kronau:
                                            > American avocets; 2 pairs flying defensively; one female was
                                            ³skulking²
                                            > through the grass with her head down, but still 95% visible;
                                            > Willets; 2 pair flying defensively
                                            > Wilson¹s phalaropes; 1 pair flying defensively
                                            > Upland plovers heard
                                            > Yellow-headed blackbirds ­ several
                                            > Redwinged blackbirds
                                            > Eared Grebes ­ 5
                                            > Blue-winged teal ­ 3
                                            > Sora rail heard
                                            > Ring-billed gull
                                            > Killdeer
                                            > Brewer¹s blackbirds
                                            >
                                            > Also, I believe there is a Red-necked grebe nesting in Wascana
                                            marsh near
                                            > the university; there are also four Eared-grebe nests.
                                            >
                                            > Scott

                                            Alaska outdoors Backyard birding Birding binoculars

                                          • el_supremo01
                                            Message 21 of 28 , Jun 13, 2006
                                              This evening I was finally able to go out to the Patience Lake mine to
                                              check on the Tundra Swans. I couldn't find them at first so I set up
                                              the scope and just photographed some of the other inhabitants for a
                                              while. After about half an hour Carol Blenkin came along and said that
                                              the swans were on the next pond over and that one of the cygnets had
                                              presumably died as it hadn't been seen for some time. So I bundled
                                              everything back into the car and headed a couple of hundred yards
                                              north and sure enough there they were.
                                              Here's a shot of them:
                                              http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/TUSW_aj2_640_0606_4672.jpg

                                              Best Wishes
                                              Pete
                                            • el_supremo01
                                              Message 22 of 28 , Aug 14, 2006
                                                I went out to the Patience Lake mine (about 20 miles southeast of
                                                Saskatoon) this evening to check on the Tundra Swans. Of the three
                                                original cygnets only one survives. One of the cygnets disappeared
                                                within a few days of being hatched back near the beginning of June and
                                                apparently the second one disappeared about 2 weeks ago.

                                                Here's the surviving youngster with one of the adults. The other adult
                                                is close by.
                                                http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/TUSW_aj_640_0608_6365.jpg

                                                And one of the cygnet stretching its wings. Looks like it won't be too
                                                long before it can fly.
                                                http://members.shaw.ca/saskbirder/TUSW_j_640_0608_6363.jpg

                                                Both photos were digiscoped with Canon 10D camera, Canon 50mm lens and
                                                Swarovski ATS80 HD.

                                                Best Wishes
                                                Pete
                                              • Val T
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Sep 24, 2010
                                                  We saw Seven Swans a Swimming on the east side of the highway along #6 just south of what we call the Baker farm this afternoon. Also on the west side of the road was a Ross's Goose amongst some Blue-winged Teals.

                                                  Val and Doyle T - McTaggart
                                                • Geoffrey
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Oct 13, 2010
                                                    Just heard a large flock of Tundra Swans fly over our house in Warman. Very cool. The sky is clear, the air cool, but not too cold, and I couldn't see one bird, but they must have been very close, because it was quite a cacophony of sound. - Heard flying south at 9:45 pm.

                                                    Late Sunday afternoon I counted 30 Tundra Swans at Neuhorst Slough's along Twp. Rd. 400. Also saw an American Tree Sparrow, not my first of the year. Saw four at Diefenbaker Park a few days earlier in Saskatoon on Friday, October 8th, along with several Myrtle Warblers and dark eyed juncos. There was a 1st year Herring Gull along with rest near the Circle Drive extension project on the S. Saskatchewan River that same day. Notable on Sunday were four (4) Bald Eagles, 3 of whom were seen in the same field. North of Twp Rd. 400 just west of Neuhorst, and a fourth 4 year adult bird one grid road east of that. Also a rich russet Northern Harrier making the thousands of snow geese very nervous. 18 Greater White Fronted Geese, Northern Pintails, Northern Shovellers, Mallards, American Wigeon, Canvasbacks, Canada Geese (either Richardson's or Lesser - I really didn't look that close, but they were on the small side), a lone pie billed grebe and a flock of about 40 Brewer's Blackbirds. I also saw 2 Greater Yellowlegs in my quest for a closer look at the Bald Eagles just as the sun was setting.

                                                    Geoff Urwin,
                                                    Warman, SK
                                                  • Geoffrey
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Oct 13, 2010
                                                      It may have felt like Sunday, but it was actually Monday evening that I saw the Eagles, Tundra Swans et al at the Sloughs North of Twp. Rd. 400.

                                                      Geoff
                                                    • Al Hartley
                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Apr 1, 2013
                                                        This morning on the way to Eastend I observed a flight of ca. 30 Tundra Swans along #13 near the Ravenscrag Road. This afternoon on the way home I observed 2 on a meltwater pond along #21 south of Cypress Lake.
                                                        Peace
                                                        Al Hartley
                                                        Maple Creek

                                                      • valndoyle
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Apr 19, 2015
                                                          The swans have all but evacuated the large body of water on both sides of the road by the 206 junction south of Regina. Now there are about 200 just south of Yankee Ridge Road in very shallow water on the east side. Good views for passer-byers. Val T - McTaggart
                                                        • valndoyle
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Oct 7, 2015
                                                            There are about 40 Tundra Swans along Highway #6 south of Regina by the Riceton turnoff.

                                                            Also we saw a Rough-legged Hawk on s power pole down Yellow Grass way.

                                                            Val T - McTaggart