North and Northwest of Swift Current - including Sask Landing (March 16)

  • M A
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2014
      This afternoon, shortly after 12:30PM, Ryan and I headed north to Sask Landing Provincial Park.  En route, we didn't see much -- just a few Horned Larks.  That was it!!!

      We spent some time at Sask Landing including walking around a bit in a couple of the campgrounds.  We didn't see as much as we were expecting/ hoping to see, but we did have a few good birds:

      1 Golden Eagle
      1 Merlin
      1 Prairie Falcon
      6 Black-billed Magpies (head more)
      at least 6 Black-capped Chickadees (heard more)
      2 American Robins
      1 European Starling
      2 House Sparrows (heard more)

      2 (black-coloured) Flies

      We left Sask Landing shortly after 2:30PM and headed for home... taking a detour and headed west at the Skyline Road north of Swift Current.

      From Sask Landing to the Skyline Road, we saw 6 Rock Pigeons, 5 Black-billed Magpies, and several Horned Larks.

      Along the Skyline Road, between Hwy 4 and Hwy 32, we saw:  a pair of Canada Geese plus a flock of 39 Canada Geese, 1 Rough-legged Hawk, 7 Black-billed Magpies, & several Horned Larks.

      Along Hwy 32, between the Fosterton Grid Road and Hwy 1, we saw 2 Canada Geese, Rock Pigeons, 2 Great Horned Owls on nests, 4 Black-billed Magpies, and a few Horned Larks.

      - Mary Ann and Ryan, Swift Current, SK
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W