Swift Current (March 13-16)

  • M A
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 16, 2014
      We have had beautiful weather the past four days (with the exception of the light snow cover we woke up to yesterday morning, but as the day warmed up, that fresh snow disappeared.)   Today was very nice!!!

      In our yard and immediate neighbourhood, we've been seeing:

      Downy Woodpecker drumming (heard only - March 15)
      1 Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker (male)
      2 Black-billed Magpies
      2 Black-capped Chickadees
      at least 3 Red-breasted Nuthatches
      102 Bohemian Waxwings (March 16)
      several House Finches
      a few House Sparrows

      1 Gray-phased Eastern Gray Squirrel
      at least 2 Black-phased Eastern Gray Squirrels
      1 Nuttall's Cottontail

      March 15 afternoon, Ryan and I drove around the City checking out the flooding situation.  We saw 1 Canada Goose on the Swift Current Creek near Elmwood Park and heard some Bohemian Waxwings on the north side of the creek at the same location.  We also saw 1 Downy Woodpecker flying on the east side of the Swift Current Creek a block south of South Railway St East.

      Riverside Park is closed to vehicular traffic due to the flooding, so we walked in -- and saw 5 Canada Geese,  1 Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker male and 1 Red-shafted Northern Flicker male, 1 Black-billed Magpie, and 7 Bohemian Waxwings (heard a few more).   We heard but did not see at least 2 Black-capped Chickadees and some House Finches.

      We did a quick drive through the SPARC (Research Station) grounds and saw 5 Rock Pigeons, 2 Yellow-shafted Northern Flicker males,  12 Black-billed Magpies and several House Sparrows.

      Later afternoon, a Merlin flew across 1st Av NW just north of the downtown area.

      March 16 afternoon Larry saw a Ladybug beetle on 3rd Av NE.  Ryan and I saw a pair of Canada Geese in the wetlands just west Lac Pelletier Trail, and 3 Canada Geese in the wetland just west of Burnett's Pond.

      It is nice to see a few Geese back!!!

      Happy Birding!!

      - Mary Ann, Larry, and Ryan, Swift Current, SK
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W