Swift Current Area (March 3-12)

  • M A
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13 9:08 AM
      Going to and from work the past ten days, I have seen along Hwy 32:

      2 Gray Partridges (March 3 and 5)
      5 Rock Doves
      3 Common Ravens (March 10, 11 & 12)
      3 Snowy Owls
      1 Great Horned Owl on a nest, and every so often the mate in a nearby tree
      5 Black-billed Magpies
      a few Horned Larks
      up to 4 flocks each with 50+ Snow Buntings

      1 Pronghorn (every day March 3-6) and a small herd of 6 Pronghorn (March 5&6)
      6 White-tailed Deer
      1 Coyote (March 12 morning)

      ...and along Fosterton Road:

      1 Snowy Owl  (March 10 morning - sitting on the ground in a field)
      5 Black-billed Magpies
      several Horned Larks
      1 flock of 100+ Snow Buntings
      House Sparrows

      2 Ground Squirrels (every day since March 10)

      Out at the Compressor Station, we have been seeing are 4 Black-billed Magpies and a multitude of House Sparrows, as well as 3 Richardson's Ground Squirrels (since March 10).

      On March 11, one of the Richardson's Ground Squirrels got into our office... the door had not been left open, but I suspect that it might have sneaked in while someone was standing at the open door talking to another co-worker.  Three of us managed to chase it back outside without too much effort and stress to the little rodent.

      One of Larry's co-workers saw a Snowy Owl south of Cadillac this past week.

      - Mary Ann and Larry, Swift Current, SK
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W