Visitor fo a warm bath.

  • Gord and Rita Taylor
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 10, 2014
      We were entertained by a Sharp-shinned Hawk this noon hour. It flew in and spent fourty  minutes soaking and splasing! Another ten minutes was spent in our next door neighbor's spruce tree preening. Our regular flock of Black-capped Chicadees and our four Red-breasted Nuthatches all came in to feed then scold the hawk. The Downy Woodpecker pair stayed hidden, as did our House Sparrows and House Finches. We have had close to 200 Bohemian Waxwings visiting the two May Day Trees in our block for the past four days. They feed and then seem to practice their flying skills as a flock.It reminds me of these flights I have observed with Swifts and Starlings. While on an errand  to  Harvey and Joyce Welch I was startled to hear what I thought was the talk of Sand Hill Cranes! I grew up with their vocalizations and still even doubted my ears but the calls were repeated three times. What are they doing up here in frozen, snow-covered Saskatchewan? Gordon in Saskatoon!