Regina to Estevan

  • kmscouts
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2014
      Drove to Estevan via #6 and #39 on Saturday, March 8, 2014.  Crossed int Portal, ND, drove west to Noonan entry and came back in that crossing.  Then back to Estevan along the open water of the lake.  Drove back on the same route  detoured down #13 to #621 then north back to #39.

      Saw several crows and many ravens before leaving the city.  Heard both out my window this morning too (Sunday).  Along the highway there were many horned larks (FOY), mainly solo apparently on territory.  On the quieter roads they were easier to see and see them returning to nearly the same spot on the road after being disturbed.  A few but not many snow buntings.  Chickadees, house sparrows, pigeons and magpies in many spots.

      The open water below Boundary Dam mainly attracted hundreds of Canada Geese and Mallards.  Lighting was bad from the east side.  At Rafferty Dam there was almost no open water except for a small amount below the dam and that attracted some Canada Geese and nine Common Mergansers.  I think FOY for me.  Also saw three ring necked pheasants (FOY)  there as well.

      The highlight of the drive were 11 snowy owls we saw on the trip.  Saw three alone on the #621.

      Spring feels like it is almost here.

      Kevin in Regina