Re: Hunting behaviour of Magpies

  • bobluterbach
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 8, 2014

      Phil

      I think that this will work.

      Bob

      "Hello everyone  - before the weather finally breaks and spring migration gets us all out birding, I have a question for you. I was wondering if Saskbirders have ever observed Black-billed Magpies chasing and capturing adult songbirds?
      I am specifically interested in hearing your descriptions of magpies hunting small birds that are capable of flight. This behaviour is apparently rare and has not been documented very well for magpies in North America. Detailed studies of magpie food habits agree the vast majority of their food to be insects, small mammals, fruit and carrion. But being opportunists they are known to take advantage of a wide variety of other food sources such as spilled grain, foods put out for pets, food at bird feeders, birds eggs and very young nestlings. Their habit of picking ticks and fly larvae from the backs of livestock is likely behaviour they first used around bison.
      Thanks for any and all information you post or send to me.

      Good birding,

      Phil Taylor
      Saskatoon"