BirdLog & Audubon Smart Phone Apps

  • Jared Clarke
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2014
      Hi all,

      I figured I had to post here about these two bird related apps for your smart phone, because they have revolutionized my data entry system!
      I will start by saying I am in no way affiliated with these two apps.

      First, the Bird Log app is a super convenient app if you input your observations into Ebird.  The thing that annoyed me over the years about ebird was that you needed to be fairly specific with your locations.  Each location you have to input manual on the website and then input your checklist from the day.
      The Bird Log app will track your phone so you can select a new location just by clicking a button and assigning it a name.  Based on where you are, the app can also pick up your personal locations that are nearby or pick up other birding hotspots.  Then a checklist of the birds of that area for that season pops up and you just click (and it tallies it up by click if you want) or input your total numbers in real time.  So if you are walking around the park, you see a BCCH, click, in a few minutes you see a DOWO, and 2 more BCCH, you click three times.  At the end of your walk the app can automatically calculate the length of time you were birding and the distance you travelled.
      And it automatically submits this checklist to Ebird and it shows up in your checklists on the web.

      So now as we drive in or out of the city, I am far more likely to pick a new location (say Vic and Ring Road) and input the Merlin that just flew over.

      Now the caveat: I did have some trouble getting the app to properly load up checklists, initially.  But once I worked with the app designer (email is in the app), it has been smooth sailing.  Apparently they are working on fixing the problem.  The app is $10 in the App store.

      The next app I love now, is the Audubon Birds app.  What is awesome about this app, is that it uses the data that is input into Ebirds (ie. the Bird Log app).  You select the "Find Birds with ebird" menu and then select a location (anywhere in North America) and the app gives you a list of all of the birds that have been seen in that area in the last month (atleast those that have been uploaded to ebirds).  If you click on each species, you can also see on a map of the area where all of the sightings of the birds have been. So I can see that the only place Bald Eagles have been seen around the Regina/Edenwold/Fort Qu'Appelle region is the south end of Katepwa lake. Neat stuff!  I think the Audubon app is like $15.

      Anyways, sorry about the rambling, but I have really gotten hooked on these two apps and thought I should share.  I think inputting our observations into ebird is an important thing we should all be doing so that data can be effectively utilized by researchers.

      Hope everyone is doing well!  Spring looks like it might actually feel like it has arrived tomorrow...

      We've had a couple of flocks of Horned Larks along the 364 highway between Edenwold and Balgonie this week, plus a flock of about 120 Snow Buntings.
      We've still got 2 goldfinches, 3 Blue Jays and 3 Dark-eyed Juncos at the feeder.

      Jared Clarke
      Edenwold, SK

    • Wendy Woodard