Swift Current and area (Dec 27-31)

  • M A
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2014
      It has been very quiet in our yard and neighbourhood the last few days of 2013.  In our yard and immediate neighbourhood these last few days, we had:

      2 Yellow-shafted Northern Flickers
      1 or 2 Black-billed Magpies
      2 Black-capped Chickadees
      3 or 4 Red-breasted Nuthatches
      10-12 House Finches
      20+ House Sparrows

      3 or 4 Eastern Gray Squirrels

      Around the city (at the Malls and downtown area), we have seen Rock Pigeons, Black-billed Magpies and House Sparrows.

      My Dad has been continuing to feed birds at the senior's residence where he lives (on 2nd Av NW).  He and the other residents there have been enjoying 35+ Eurasian Collared Doves, a few Red-breasted Nuthatches, several House Finches, several House Sparrows, and to the delight of many, a few Gray Squirrels (mostly black-phased) all visiting several times a day.

      Yesterday (Dec 31), going to work in the dark, my co-worker and I didn't see anything until we turned onto the Fosterton grid road -- within the first half a kilometre heading west to work, a Snowy Owl flew up out of the ditch and flew alongside the truck for a wee bit before it turned and flew off into the field.

      Out at work, we had at least 60+ House Sparrows hanging around near the compressor buildings, and 2 Black-billed Magpies.  Shortly after getting to work yesterday morning, a blizzard blew in... with snow and blowing snow.  It lasted a couple hours so all was good by the time we headed home...  lots of finger drifts (some quite wide and hard) across the grid road.

      Returning home after work mid-afternoon yesterday my co-worker and I saw a few Rock Pigeons and 3 Black-billed Magpies.   We did not see any Snow Buntings.

      - Mary Ann and Larry, Swift Current, SK
      50° 17' 00" N - 107° 48' 00" W